How to reset lost user password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by winstephen, Jun 27, 2005.

1. winstephen macrumors newbie

Hello All

I am new to MAC (and needing to learn quickly as I am a tech aide at the school where my son attends).

One of the teachers has lost his password and I do not know how to reset it. It is an iBook G4 running 10.2.

I have Administrator privileges - but am told the user must reset the keychain password... He knows neither one and neither do I.

What do I do?

Thanks
    Stephen

2. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I don't remember 102 very well. But I'm pretty sure you just open up system preferences under your accoutn with admin privilages, click on "Accounts", select the user, and just change their password. Does that help?

3. winstephen thread starter macrumors newbie

been there - done that

Tried that and was told user needs to change keychain password.

Stephen

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If the password was changed fine. Then he needs to log in to his account and go to "keychain access" and creat a new default keychain.

5. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Ok, then just do this. Open the terminal (/Applications/Terminal.app) and type the following command. Change the name "Andrew" to the name of the account that you want to change the password for. Next you'll be promted for the password to the account your currently logged into. Type that, and then it'll prompt you to make a new password for that user.

Code:
    sudo passwd Andrew

6. winstephen thread starter macrumors newbie

Stumbled on the ans to prob

The USER also had Admin priv and so as Administrator I could not change the PW.

I removed his Admin privileges and then was able to remove existing PW and then add a new one.

So easy...

Thanks
    Stephen