how to reset Network locations?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Nov 12, 2003.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm having problems with the old home network here. it was working fine yesterday. i'm running Panther on my PB, and my brother just decided to install Win2000 instead of XP, he was having problems.

but now i can't connect to the PC, although i couldn't a couple of days ago anyway.

i go to Network in Finder, then the alias for the PC. i connect, but instead of seeing all of the usual files there's just nothing. so i made a folder, but then that didn't turn up on the PC.

so just now i trashed the folders that were named after the PC in private>var>automount>Network>BROOKMAN (BROOKMAN is the name of the workgroup thingy.)

i figured that since i didn't make the folder on the PC that it must be doing some virtual thing, so i thought that's not good, so i trashed those folders.

is there any way i can reset the Network locations, or re-recognise the PC's that are on the network?

edit>> it's all good now. just had to reset the IP's on the router and now it's almost back to normal... i'm sure it'll work itself out.

2. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

bah. the IP's reset, but that hasn't helped with connecting to the XP box.

someone must know how to fix this? please don't say i've got to re-install.... i've got the UtD disks...:(

3. dbally macrumors member

I had a similar problem connecting to my XP box. I found that going to 'Go' and the 'Connect to Server' works better. Type smb:// followed by the ip of the other computer, and your shared folders should show up.

4. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

thanks dbally. i tried your suggestions... but still no luck. i think it's something wrong with my comp. i did delete those files... :eek: but it was messed up before that.

i'm thinking i'll have to re-install Pather if i ever want to get on my home network again. :(

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

is file sharing enabled on both computers?

you will need to enable it on the pc and enable Windows File Sharing under System Preferences > Internet & Network > Sharing > Services. You may need to authenicate first.

on windows - you may need to do this (not 100% on this)

Control Panel
    Network
    Right-click the LAN connection
    Properties
    Check MS File Sharing

Someone else may be able to help more. Someone make a PC suck thread. Then the pc lovers can be alerted to the help that is needed here :D

Good luck.

6. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

yeah sharing is on. i can get to the login screen of the Windows box, but then whenever i put my password in it says incorrect password.

i can get into my PB from the Win machine, so this makes me certain that it's a problem on my end with the PB that won't let me connect.

oh well... i don't know if this can be fixed. guess i'll just have to live with it.:(