How to resolve inconsistent language settings ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JeanJPoirier, Aug 25, 2006.

1. JeanJPoirier macrumors newbie

JeanJPoirier

K, so, planning to permanently relocate to France after high school, I set everything in my Mac mini to be in French from the first time I turned it on...but then it got sick, and I had to take it to the Genius Bar, where the guy did an Archive & Install or whatever of my copy of OS X Tiger, which he did, of course, in English. Recently I redirected my plans toward Québec, which uses an entirely different keyboard layout, which I've gotten used to, but apparently my computer hasn't. Although all my programs are in French and type with the French-Canadian layout, like I want them to, my login screen is in English, and only accepts my password if I type it as if I were using the French keyboard layout. On my account, which is the only account on my computer, I only have French-Canadian in the input menu; I've taken the French setting out of it completely. I still can't figure out how to make these things consistent throughout the system...any suggestions ?

2. JeanJPoirier thread starter macrumors newbie

JeanJPoirier

How to change system language ?

Hey, I've always used my Mac mini in French, but then an Apple Genius had to do an archive and install on it because of some wacky problems...he did this process in English, because of course I couldn't ask him to do it in French, haha. Now my login screen is in English, which kind of annoys me...anyone know how to change this ? I've tried all the language settings I could find, but they only apply to my one and only account, and not to the login screen, which I suppose is outside of it. Also, I used to use the French keyboard layout, but have since switched to the French-Canadian layout, but my login screen insists on using the French one, even though I haven't even kept it as an option in my menu bar. Any ideas ? Thank you ! :D

[Moderator note: threads merged]