how to restart dock

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hiei, Apr 20, 2004.

1. hiei macrumors newbie

first ofall sorry if this is in the wrong forum i couldn't find on closer. anyway i want to restart my dock now i know it is in process viewer ( i have 10.2) and i found the dock process but i can't figure out how to restart it or do anything to it. any help on this? thanks

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

There's several ways to do this.

a). Get TinkerTool, run it, and check the box that says someting like "add quit to the finder"
    b). Press controll-option-escape and select finder, then click relaunch
    c). Go to the Utilities folder and open up Activity Monitor, select dock, and click quit.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Musicpyrite: hiei does not have Activity Monitor, he/she is using Jaguar (and hence Process Viewer). Also force quitting Finder will not do anything to the Dock.

I can't remember the specifics of Process Viewer in Jaguar, but there should be either a Quit Process button or menu item (possibly in the File menu or Process menu if there is one), or something else with 'quit' or 'kill' in the name.

If you still can't find it, open Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type 'killall Dock' without the quotes, which will relaunch it.

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

HexMonkey: Sorry, I was unaware that Jaguar did not have an Activity Monitor. I never used Jaguar, I went from 8.6 to 9.2 to 10.1 to 10.3. And thanks for the terminal trick, I didn't know that one.

5. hiei thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your answers :) i didn't know the quit option was in the tooolbar

6. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

go into the terminal (in applications then in utilities) and type in this:

killall Dock

and it will restart.

7. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Just to clear things up, Jaguar does have Activity Monitor, it just has a different name and the interface is a bit different. Process Viewer in Jaguar=Activity Monitor in Panther.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not quite. CPU Monitor + Process Viewer + some other stuff (under Jag) = Activity Monitor (Panther).

9. advres Guest

advres

i would get cocktail.

It is a great freeware utility that allows you to repair permissions, customize your dock & finder, delete files you don't have permissions for, and other stuff.

just my $.02 but even if you figure out what you need before this post I would still recommend downloading it.