Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steveatesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
North east England
Earlier today I was trying to resolve an issue with the iMac involving the screen going blank when using FaceTime. I called Apple for help and they went through a few things and finally asked me to erase the hard drive and reinstall macOS Sierra from scratch.

No problem I thought as I have Time Machine running.

Anyway, I think I have everything re-installed and running with the exception of Apple mail.

I have managed to restore all the messages in the Inbox but none of the email accounts (I had 4) that existed. So I have a single inbox with all my received emails, but no accounts and therefore no Sent box etc.

I have tried going to the library, to mail and restoring from earlier in the day. I've done this several times but nothing restores the actual accounts.

What am I doing wrong or how do I restore the mail accounts please?

Last resort I can manually do it but I wanted to avoid that if I can.

Thanks in anticipation.

iMac 27" Retina running macOS Sierra 10.12.1
(To make matters worse it didn't resolve the problem either - screen still goes blank when using FaceTime at the same moment the Energy saver is set!)

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Did you go to system preferences and sign into your icloud account. Also check boxes in those accounts. Just a thought, I always have to do that after a restore.

Steveatesh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
North east England
Yes I have checked that thanks, I'm signed in. The mail accounts are missing from the mail app still.

When you said check boxes in those accounts what specifically odd you mean?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Yes I have checked that thanks, I'm signed in. The mail accounts are missing from the mail app still.

When you said check boxes in those accounts what specifically odd you mean?

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 8.21.12 PM.png

I just meant the boxes in sys prefs

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
What type of mail? You might just have to add your password in and let it sync back up if its imap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.