Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fyremyst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I'm trying to restore applications from my time machine backup to my new MBP. The backups are from my iMac. I'm not trying to restore everything, because my iMac is somewhat slow and i don't want my new MBP to be slow also.
I'm trying to restore Wow, Photoshop, and a few other things. I tried to restore photoshop but I got a configuration error.

Thanks for the help

Fyremyst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
You should do a fresh install of the applications, not just copy them over.

I really want to restore the applications from the backup disk. I know it can be done. My iMac had to be wiped and it restored all the info and they're working fine.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Some Applications you can restore individually, some you will need to do a fresh install.

Games in general tend to be self contained and should be able to be restored individually from the backup. Adobe software is generally not self contained and should be fresh installed.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
With those applications specifically, you will absolutely have to reinstall them from the original disks. I'm guessing perhaps you don't have those? You'll have to get replacements then.

jW

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I'm trying to restore applications from my time machine backup to my new MBP. The backups are from my iMac. I'm not trying to restore everything, because my iMac is somewhat slow and i don't want my new MBP to be slow also.
I'm trying to restore Wow, Photoshop, and a few other things. I tried to restore photoshop but I got a configuration error.

Thanks for the help

Unfortunately the two applications you mentioned require installers. Only apps that are self-contained can be transferred that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.