How to restore these applications from a Time Machine backup.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Fyremyst, May 30, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm trying to restore applications from my time machine backup to my new MBP. The backups are from my iMac. I'm not trying to restore everything, because my iMac is somewhat slow and i don't want my new MBP to be slow also.
    I'm trying to restore Wow, Photoshop, and a few other things. I tried to restore photoshop but I got a configuration error.

Thanks for the help

2. macrumors 6502

You should do a fresh install of the applications, not just copy them over.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

I really want to restore the applications from the backup disk. I know it can be done. My iMac had to be wiped and it restored all the info and they're working fine.

4. macrumors 68030

fhall1

As far as I know, there's no way to selectively install applications via time machine.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

then what should I do? Besides re installing it

6. macrumors G3

Some Applications you can restore individually, some you will need to do a fresh install.

Games in general tend to be self contained and should be able to be restored individually from the backup. Adobe software is generally not self contained and should be fresh installed.

7. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

With those applications specifically, you will absolutely have to reinstall them from the original disks. I'm guessing perhaps you don't have those? You'll have to get replacements then.

jW

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty then. Thanks. :D

9. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Unfortunately the two applications you mentioned require installers. Only apps that are self-contained can be transferred that way.