How to 'rip' a dvd to your hard drive??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smwatson, Nov 23, 2005.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

How do i 'rip' a dvd to my hard drive if i just insert it into the superdrive. Do i need extra software or do i just do something else. Also, how much space does an average film take up on the hard drive?

2. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

mac the ripper. search for it, it rocks. Commercial DVD anywhere from 4-7 or 8 gigs.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

MacTheRipper extracts in full but use Handbrake to compress it to a variety of choice of formats.

4. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

ok thanks guys. Which is the best format to watch it through front row full screen??

5. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

cool good to know :) Thanks guys both for bringing it up and answering it. I had the same question coming from using DVDShrink on windows if there was a similar app for mac.

6. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

7. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

I use mactheripper to rip the dvd and then use roxio popcorn to compress and burn. So far has always worked great for me.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

MacTheRipper to rip it to the HD.

DVD2OneX to shrink it.

Toast to burn it

9. kev0476 macrumors member

Handbrake is the extremely easy for compressing to ipod format, on my comp, G3 900 mhz it takes 6 hours for two pass encoding and it is ready to go on my ipod and it is around 500-600 megs, (depending on if it was wide-screen or not.)
    Really easy to use too

10. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

Just out of curiosity, do you think 2-pass encoding makes much of a difference to the quality of the end result?

11. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

If you have Toast 7, you could just use that to shrink it and then it will go right into the burning process once done with the shrink

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sure, but I am kind of partial to DVD2One's results.

Sushi

13. kev0476 macrumors member

Fast movement is choppy with without two pass encoding, its just better compression overall.

14. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

Man! I still haven't used that app since I got it. I guess it's because I don't actually need to transfer the movie to disc. I just store the movie file on my hard drive(s). Plus, I have a DVI video converter connected via s-video to my TV so I just play the movie files straight from my computer! Best £12 I ever spent!

15. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

He's right - it works beautifully.
    If you want to take a disc somewhere else? To a friends or on holiday? My sister lives in Spain so is usually a sucker for all the stuff we've taped for her. Popcorn does it easily.

16. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Here's a vote for Mac the Ripper and Toast 7.

Used to use handbrake to shrink them down to CD size, but it is painfully slow.

The above can make an identical copy if you have the proper burner.

17. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

18. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

2 pass encoding goes over the media twice to make sure its the best quality. It takes twice as long though.

I use Mac the Ripper to rip DVD's and Popcorn to burn them. However, FrontRow won't recognize all the VOB files that mac the ripper leaves behind. If you want to play it ONLY in FrontRow (and not burn it to DVD later) use handbrake and don't alter the picture size for the best playback.:)

19. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

All G5 Power Mac's come with dual layer burners, so we have no excuse!

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, maybe yours is dual-layer...

21. bruvone macrumors newbie

so how is this done if you have an original dvd, at say 7gigs, and want to copy using a regular dvd burner (not dual layer)? I'm totally new to this so
    I apologize if thats a dumb question.

22. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

Like many others, I use MacTheRipper(MTR) to rip DVDs to comp. HDD. I use Roxio Popcorn (or the new Toast 7 combines the use of Toast 6 and Popcorn) to compress and burn the DVD. Just open popcorn>select the Video_TS folder of your choice>then click 'copy options' to display the amount of compression needed to fit the file to a standard DVD (in this window you can also choose to only burn the main title without the sp features or other languages or sound options if you want to shorten the compression time)>go back to main window and burn.

Popcorn goes through three stages: Compression (longest), Writing, and Verifying.
    If no compression needed then it takes mine about 20-30min total.

Also, I have found a few times to get a message saying 'bad sectors found, verification did not finish"----But I tried the DVD and they worked fine.

Hope this helps. It is really easy to use. If you don't have Toast 6 and Popcorn then just buy Toast 7 as it does both processes.