How to run iMac lcd as slave monitor?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ceo2b, Aug 23, 2004.

1. ceo2b macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2004
    Is there any software or hardware that allows a user to hook up a pc laptop, for example, to utilize the iMac lcd as an external monitor? Secondly, can a powerbook use the iMac lcd as an external monitor?

I am not familiar with iMac's at all and am very curious if the LCD can run independently of the Mac hardware and OS, since it is an all-in-one unit?

Sorry if this sounds stupid :eek:
  2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    I don't think there is any software hack. The only way I can think that you can use the imac lcd would be to tear open the case and mess with the wires.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Nope, you'd have to destroy the iMac to make use of the LCD as an external to something else -- which would also destroy the value of the iMac on eBay.

That's the problem with the all-in-one design that you bought into, can't really upgrade it, and can't make use of many of the parts in your next machine.
  4. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    its not possible.

my friend actually had a similar question, which he wondered if it was possible to use his 17in PowerBook's LCD screen as a '2nd display' for his PowerMac. We went to our local apple store, and the genuis guy said that it wasnt possible to do that. something about how the computer cant read a DVI/VGA "In" signal and can only send "out"