How to safely re-install 10.4 features?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I deleted some items that I would like to install again with my start up disk. I do not recall how to safely do this and just remember that doing it the wrong way can really mess things up. I want to install some fonts that I deleted with monolingual.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

That's not what I was thinking of specifically, but it is always an option. Though one I would rather not take if I don't have to since it is $20.

I was thinking more specifically about just putting the startup disk back in and custom adding what I needed. Maybe I am off, but I thought I could do do something along those lines. :confused:

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For individual component installation, Pacifist is probably your easiest option. Otherwise, I guess you could try an Archive & Install. Is that kinda what you're aiming for? What do you want to reinstall? :)

5. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

6. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Let me put this out now in the morning because I am still lost at what I think should be a somewhat straight forward question for some people on here. I took off some fonts and keyboard layout stuff with monolingual and it is causing a problem now I think in microsoft word so it is those items I would like to get back. Can I do this by my startup disk without a fill archive and install?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry mate, but not that I know of. Removing stuff with Monolingual's a bit of a problem 'round here and the only good solution so far has to been the Archive & Install. They're relatively painless and it shouldn't take too long, plus it gives you the option to continue on with your old Home account. Back everything up all the same though. :)

8. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

yeah, I think that's what I am going to have to do. Just remind me so I have a second opinion to back me up. I run an archive & install, the old user account becomes essentially dead, I create a new one. All my files are supposed to be there I think correct? And what about my system prefs? gone or still there? And finally, what do I do with the old account, just delete it?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It'll run you through a series of questions and options giving you the opportunity to keep the settings and files. Whichever options you choose, it'll make a large folder on your drive called Previous System Folder (or something similar) which can be deleted. :)

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

A lot of smile faces lately my friend, a lotta smiley faces.....:)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha, I know. It's a bad habit.

At least I haven't used the Apple symbol yet though...