How to see all running programs

Discussion in 'OS X' started by StrokeMidnight, Jun 24, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Hey, is there away to see all the programs that are running? I was about to install the firmware, but I wanted to make sure there aren't any programs running in the background.

Thanks.

2. macrumors 68020

command(apple) + option(one next to apple) + esc(that one in the top left...) will show list of open apps. and you can force quit them from there.

3. macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Press command+tab to see all programs that run in the dock.
    Or use Activity Monitor (Applications>Utilities).

4. thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I knew that one. I just wondered because yesterday I tried to uninstall something and it said I couldn't because it was still running, but it didn't show up by pressing command+option+esc. Thanks though.

5. macrumors 6502

Open terminal and run 'ps aux | less'.

'ps' is the 'process status' program. The 'aux' bit are options, where a=all, u=user info (among other things, look in the first column), and x=shows processes that are not connected to a specific terminal, f.ex. started by the system without user action.

The '| less' just pipes the result from the ps command to the 'less' program, which allows you to page through the information (I guarantee that you will have more than a screenful showing up. Without less it'll just zip by too fast).

For more info on ps, type 'man ps' in the terminal. There are a million options to show you virtually everything you need.

If you need to kill a process, checkout 'man kill', and 'man sudo'. Be careful with those.

HTH

6. macrumors newbie

Open ACTIVITY MONITOR.

7. macrumors member

Thanks...just what I was looking for.

8. macrumors 6502

PicnicTutorials

Thats the one!