Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javideslomao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
In windows I used the arrows and the spacebar while holding ctrl to select multiple files. Is there any keyboard-only way for this in mac os x?

Also, how do I maximize a window with a simple shortcut?

Thank you and sorry if this has been asked before... Actually, I have perused the whole Internet already and haven't found an answer.

javideslomao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010

Thanks. Those links address the zooming issue. Well... kind of. I just did the keyboard mapping as suggested. It works as long as the application has a "Zoom" menu item, but I have the spanish translations and it's a matter of luck whether the actual option is named "Zoom", "Activar zoom", "Tamaño", or something else.

Still no clue about the multiple file selection thing. I am much more productive with my keyboard but I am starting to think that mac os x is extremely mouse-centric :(

javideslomao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Hold shift?

And what if I want file 1, 4, 10 and 12?

In windows I hold ctrl, move with the arrows and space selects. In mac space brings up the preview. Maybe if I "unmap" the space key I'll get the pc behavior? I don't even know how, though.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

In windows I hold ctrl, move with the arrows and space selects. In mac space brings up the preview. Maybe if I "unmap" the space key I'll get the pc behavior? I don't even know how, though.

No, that won't work. The space bar brings up Quick Look, not Preview. That's a very valuable function. I know of no way to select non-contiguous files in Finder, using only the keyboard. You're right about the fact that Macs are more mouse-oriented, but keyboard shortcuts still exist for many functions... just not this one.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC

You can't. Macs don't have the counterintuitive "selected-but-not-selected" feature that PCs do. Just use the mouse.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Last time I checked, Quick Look was a way to preview ;)
I missed one little word: "the" Since the OP wasn't capitalizing, it appeared they were referring to the Preview.app and not just "the preview".

The space bar brings up Quick Look, not Preview.

sweex

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
I just thought I was too stupid to find it out, and to lousy to search. I've made the reflection several times that it would be useful.
Damn that hurts, having to admit that windows is better then apple in an other domain then gaming... :D
Isn't there a prefpane or something that you can choose a hotkey for it. (exemple by pressing alt+s) Or would it be difficult to create it myself?
Hmm probably yes because I don't know much about programming, I'll ask my good friend google tomorrow…

caridee

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
how to select multiple files with keyboard

hold down apple + caps lock to select non consecutive files; hold down shift to select consecutive files.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yet another thread resurrection by a first-time poster, posting misinformation.
hold down apple + caps lock to select non consecutive files; hold down shift to select consecutive files.
You don't need the caps lock, as it does nothing in selecting files. Just holding the Command key while clicking will select noncontiguous files.

Reactions: chabig

Thor774

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I was googling about multiple selection of files in Finder and this thread came high in the results.

First the facts that most of us Finder users already know:

My files are beeing shown as LIST in Finder (CMD+2)

CMD+mouse-click: Used to select multiple individual files that are not continuous.
SHIFT+mouse-click: Used to select ONE block of multiple files that are continuous like this: Click the first one and SHIFT+click the last one.

But what about the combination of these 2 methods? Why Finder does not let us use both methods together as it is done in Windows? You can CMD+click so many individual files you want, but you cannot select multiple blocks like in Windows, when you try this in Finder you lost your selection.

Look at this example:

Code:
File 1
File 2
File 3
File 4
File 5
File 6
File 7
File 8

I want to select Files 1,2,3 and files 6,7,8

In Windows:
I can click File 1, then SHIFT+CLICK File 3, then CTRL+CLICK File 6 and CTRL+SHIFT+CLICK File 8. Both selection blocks are preserved.

In OSX:
I can click File 1, then SHIFT+CLICK File 3, then CMD+CLICK File 6 BUT when you want to use SHIFT for the 2nd. time (CMD+SHIFT+CLICK) your hole previous selection gets screwed up.

How can we achieve this with Finder?

IMO this is pretty basic file managing and should be offered by Finder. The basics are already there. It is like the silly copy-paste drama that lasted years. I remember Apple and many fanboys defending the NO-IMPLEMENTATION of copy-paste in the form that it was implemented in Windows, and at the end Apple implemented it in Finder because IT MADE SENSE.

Reactions: balcis

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How can we achieve this with Finder?
AFAIK, you can't. It is well known that Finder has several limitations compared with Windows Explorer. For those who need the functions that Finder doesn't provide, many turn to 3rd party apps.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
AFAIK, you can't. It is well known that Finder has several limitations compared with Windows Explorer. For those who need the functions that Finder doesn't provide, many turn to 3rd party apps.

What would you recommend as a file manager for Finder replacement? I personaly LOVE Total Commander when I am managing file tasks in Windows but still have not tried anything to replace Finder on Mac.

malec

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2021
View items as a list instead of icons, then you can select a series with shift + click

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.