How to sell a PSP

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Any tips? eBay isn't my friend. I've lowered the price for one final time before giving up. Any other sites, or any people out there, or just anything anywhere where I can break even on my PSP? It should be worth loads. it's a 1.5 FW with a 2gb memory stick in utterly MINT condition. I thought it would fly off eBay... :eek:

tips? shops?

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Whoa. Didn't you just get your PSP?

And selling already? :eek:

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

It's really not up my street :eek: and the Lite comes out in the UK soon... but you know what they say about fools and money.

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I sell quite a bit on eBay, post a link to your item and I'll make any recomendations that I can (i.e. what I'd do in your position).

AppleMatt

5. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

PSPs aren't in high demand now and they never really have been, except for the Japanese release. Now everyone is realizing that they're not all they are cracked up to be, and are trying to get rid of them fast. Believe me, I've had 2 and sold them both. I guess try and lower the price more, and compare them to other ones on sale, and see how much those go for and try to aim lower.I had trouble selling my first one for $150, and that was when they first came out in March.

6. Lau Guest

General things that make stuff sell well on eBay:

• A low starting price - who's going to start bidding at £150? I wouldn't.
    • No reserve - I can't be arsed to guess what someone's reserve is on an auction, and neither can a lot of people. The high starting price and reserve together is a complete no-no.
    • Do you really want to sell to a scammer with 2 feedbacks? Raise the bar, say at least 5 or even 10 positive feedbacks, and steer clear of those newly registered.
    • I wouldn't buy something as expensive as a PSP from someone with 5 feedbacks myself, so that may be putting people off. You could be a scammer yourself for all they know.

That's what would put me off. I've sold a lot of stuff successfully on eBay and I googled to look for articles on how to do a good eBay auction. You might want to do the same, as your auction doesn't follow a lot of these 'rules' for a good auction. If I was buying a PSP, I'd bid on one with a 99p starting price with no reserve from a seller that has proved himself by having been registered for a while with, say, 100 positive feedbacks.

I dunno. What about your local paper?

7. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Well actually the advert itself is pretty good - I was expecting a warzone. Below I've suggested some improvements, but to be totally honest if you want to sell this (and for a reasonable price) you need to use a friends eBay account. Five feedbacks simply isn't enough to sell high priced items, and unfortunately you've only got 85% positive.

Anyway, changes to your advert I'd make in order of importance:
    - A picture with the PSP on (it shows that it works and it looks more impressive)
    - Include EVERYTHING you're selling in that picture (looks like more for the money)
    - Reduce the width of the listing (lines wider than 12 words are tiring for the eye to read)
    - Consider selling the 2GB card seperately, as there's a wider audience for it and typically 'bundles' go for less.
    - Back up the claim of a better screen (online review with side-by-side?)
    - Remove the disclaimer, all of it. In eBay preferences you can set the number of feedbacks required to bid on your auctions, and I notice you've already set it to "UK shipping only". (don't end on a negative, people tend to remember the first and last things about something they read)
    - Give a reason for sale ("why would he sell it if it's that good - what's the catch")
    - Consider 'selling' the benefits of the 1.5 firmware upgrade, give a short breakdown of the improvements but don't mention that it's available to any PSP owner.

Once again though, it's the feedback stopping your sale, not your advert.

AppleMatt

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

jimmi You need to first realize that your trash can wants to buy your PSP and sell it to the trashcan for freed up space in your room.

9. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I'm kinda-sorta interested. If you can provide me with close-up pictures of the PSP boot screen with the lights turned off and the brightness cranked...

I have pretty high standards when it comes to LCD screens, so if you can prove to me that there's no defects in the plastics or the LCD itself, I would probably be inclined to buy.

If not, good luck.

10. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

The listing seems OK (consider what AppleMatt said, very good advice) the main thing I think is holding it back from selling is your feedback, its low and doesn't have many recent additions....It will put off a lot of potential buyers, it would certainly put me off.....

ShadoW

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

aye I've only bought a few things from eBay, and 1 was a notorious fraud seller who got a little worried. still waiting for 2 feedback bits from the original PSP and memory card seller.

I'll make changes to the item accordingly, thanks AppleMatt.

12. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

alright changes made. Much better now I think. I've contacted 2 sellers from 2 weeks ago who didn't leave any feedback so hopefully that should be resolved soon.
    I like those pics :) gotta love tripods!

and no! I didn't digitally alter the comparison shot. seriously. the DS fat screen really is terribly dark.

13. Uma888 macrumors 6502

How much do you want for it?

Im looking for a 1.5 PSP, i have one but the lens needs to be replaced (Keeps freezing)

Im looking for the unit it self + the charger, i have a **** load of 2gb memory cards lying about.

Let me know

Btw, Both the US and Jap PSP's use the Sharp Screen, No difference in Performance

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

i paid £170 for the PSP itself. you could have it for that if you wanted. I could always flog the 2gb separately. or just keep it incase anyone in the family gets a Sony camera or phone etc.

15. Torajima macrumors regular

Sell it on half.com. You set the price, no bidding. It's safer too, as half.com charges the buyers credit card.

If you want to sell it fast, offer it for less than anyone else...

16. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Worth a shot, as I know it's eBay :rolleyes:

But contact eBay and ask if they can remove your negative feedback. If you were subject to fraud, you should not have to deal with a 85% feedback.