Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Hi, could someone please help me with this very simple task?

I am trying to send a GIF file from my mac mail to my lotus notes mail account (on windows).

File > Attach File seems to actually embed the gif in the body of the email. When it arrives in my lotus notes inbox i see the embedded image but there is no 'attachment'. I could just copy and paste the embedded image but i suspect i would lose some quality. Anyway, why is mac mail embedding and not attaching the file? Very odd.

I have also tried the option to 'send windows friendly attachments' and get the same result.

sending as plain text also renders it this way (LoNo uses rich text)

also tried ctrl-clicking on it to view as icon but still appears embedded in my lono inbox

have basically tried all the options suggested in mac help

has anyone got any ideas please? this is such a simple task!! sorry have only been a mac user for a week so still trying to figure stuff out...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
You can probably right-click the image in Notes and select to save it. I've attached images in the past, and while they show up embedded in Mail, I think they're still sent as a separate attachment. Notes is probably just being clever and showing it inline.

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Nermal said:
You can probably right-click the image in Notes and select to save it. I've attached images in the past, and while they show up embedded in Mail, I think they're still sent as a separate attachment. Notes is probably just being clever and showing it inline.

It's really strange! It is definitely not coming through to my notes inbox as a separate attachment - it is embedded and because of this there's no option to save or detach it as with a regular attachment. All I can do is copy the image but the problem is then I would have to open a graphics program to paste it and save it again. And I don't have photoshop on that laptop which is why i sent the image to my mac to edit in the first place. The windows laptop is a work one so they have disabled the wireless card and there's no bluetooth either... how else can i get this image transferred?

I have sent gifs from outlook (on windows) before and they come through as proper attachments in notes, so i think the problem is on the mac mail side.

Such a simple task and it's driving me insane!

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I HATE Lotus Notes, but I have to use it at work. I had the same problem and there's a point in preferences where you can select how these attachments are shown. It's very hard to find though. Lotus Notes isn't what you call user-friendly.

dcv

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 24, 2005
Veldek said:
I HATE Lotus Notes, but I have to use it at work. I had the same problem and there's a point in preferences where you can select how these attachments are shown. It's very hard to find though. Lotus Notes isn't what you call user-friendly.

Thanks you're a genius :) I didn't bother to check notes prefs because i've never experienced a problem with sending/receiving attachments from another mail program before.

So it seems 'Show in-line MIME images as attachments' needs to be checked in notes preferences, then it actually displays the image file so you can detach it (although you still don't get the paperclip icon in the view). Woohooo!

Still doesn't explain why mac mail is sending my attachment as an inline mime image in the first place. :confused: No other mail programs do that.

Oh well at least I can get back to work now. what a waste of time this has been...

cheers for your help guys :)

rikloveridge

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
Use View as Icon

Just saw your post... once the image is embedded in the text area, right click it and select 'view as icon'. It'll look and behave like a regular attachement as far as I can see. Regards, Rik Loveridge (UK) :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.