how to set as wallpaper?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisgohcs, Jan 13, 2008.

1. macrumors member

chrisgohcs

hi

how do you guys set your wallpaper?
    take for example i have a jpeg file on my desktop which i want it to be my wallpaper. but when i right click it,it doesnt give me any option to set it as my wallpaper.
    i will always have to add the photo to iphoto then set it as wallpaper thru system preferences.

any help will be appreciated!=)

2. macrumors 65816

skyrider007

1. Go to Preferences > Desktop & Screensaver > Desktop

2. Click the + sign (located bottom left)

3. Select the particular folder in which your wallpaper is located (i.e. desktop). No need to use iPhoto

3. macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

go to the system preferences section. look for the desktop icon. you'll then be able to choose what picture you want.

it's pretty easy.

4. thread starter macrumors member

chrisgohcs

5. macrumors 6502

It has always bugged me to go to System Preferences just to change the wallpaper, so I created a simple Automator Actionto do it for me. Save As Plug-in (for Finder) then right-click the image, go to automator actions, and there is your "Set as Wallpaper" command.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 68040

Killyp

Or you can just drag & drop the file into the little wallpaper preview in the System Preferences pane...

7. macrumors newbie

Automator Steps

Mernak you're the man. This is the first time I used Automator and it works lovely.

For the newbs, here are the steps:
    1) Open up Automator - This is located in your applications folder. The right window in Automator should be blank and say "Drag or add actions here to build your workflow." In the leftmost window labeled Library, Applications should be selected.
    2) Search for "Get Selected Finder Items." It should appear in the middle window labeled Action. Double click "Get Selected Finder Items," and it will appear in the right window.
    3) Search for "Set the Desktop Picture." Right click it and it will appear in the right window under "Get Selected Finder Items."
    4) Go to File:Save As Plug-in. Choose a name like "The Amazing Wallpaper Automator." Select Plug-in for "Finder" in the drop down menu and Save.
    5) When you are in Finder, if you right click your picture and scroll to Automator, you will see your automation. Click this and enjoy the view.