Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimboo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Can someone advise on how to make colour printer default black and white, allowing you to select colour as needed ?

Printer HP 3300 all in one

thanks

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
In the print dialog box, click to the right of where it says 'Copies & Pages', select 'Quality & Media', check the box that says Greyscale

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
To save the settings:

Open the print dialog box. Change the settings you want. Click to the right of where it says Presets: "Standard", select Save As. Chose a name. This will save your settings, and they will be available every time you print.

jimboo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
thanks but i dont seem to have the option of quality and media

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
thanks but i dont seem to have the option of quality and media

Where are you looking? It could be that your menu items are different (I think it is printer specific) so just look through them all until you find options that dictate color usage.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
To save the settings:

Open the print dialog box. Change the settings you want. Click to the right of where it says Presets: "Standard", select Save As. Chose a name. This will save your settings, and they will be available every time you print.

I tried typing in "Default" to overwrite the standard setting but it doesn't seem to stick.

jimboo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
love your work.

thanks found it under paper type/quality

cheers

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I tried typing in "Default" to overwrite the standard setting but it doesn't seem to stick.

If you want to overwrite Default, try choosing Save instead of Save As. Or just call it something different. OS X remembers which one you chose last so it doesn't revert to 'Default' every time anyways. For example, I have one called 'Greyscale' and as thats the one i used last that is the one that shows up when i print.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
click on "copies and pages," the drop down menu should give you more options. since b&w feature is printer specific, you'll need to explore each option to see where the feature is located.

edit: NM. glad you found it. :)

in dialog box where it says copies and pages

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.