Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikolat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Hey all, I'm thinking of getting a Mac and I know you can set up a Mac and PC up for internet sharing, but I don't really know how. I've been googling' and I found out about a cross-over connection, which, as far as I understand, requires you to plug both your PC's and Mac's Ethernet cables into an Ethernet hub to make a connection.

OK, so I was hoping one of you could give me a detailed explanation on how this cross-over thing is done, including what to do on both of the machines (and what I need to do it).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
"Ethernet crossover cables" are VERY OLD technology. Most modern computers don't need it. (Ethernet ports on Macs can auto-crossover for a long time now).

You should get one of the AirPort products.
http://www.apple.com/wifi/

I have the AirPort Extreme.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You need a router. That's it.

Technically that's not true. But pactically, yes just buy a router.

The reason is that now days a low-end home router costs not much more than a hub. But if you attempt the connection sharing thing using a hub both computers will have to be powered up at once. Also the router will have a nice firewall built in and some other usfull features as well.

So I agree "buy a router" If you are strapped for cash look on ebay or creigslist

tgallant

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Apple does sell an over priced Ethernet wireless N router witch does you no good use, if you have the pc running g or even b. I would rec emend going to a computer parts store, and just getting a good but cheap linksus router. you don't need to do much on the mac if all three connections (Modem, Mac, and PC) are connected to the router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.