1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

How to set up a Mac and PC for internet connection sharing?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by nikolat, Apr 29, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm thinking of getting a Mac and I know you can set up a Mac and PC up for internet sharing, but I don't really know how. I've been googling' and I found out about a cross-over connection, which, as far as I understand, requires you to plug both your PC's and Mac's Ethernet cables into an Ethernet hub to make a connection.

OK, so I was hoping one of you could give me a detailed explanation on how this cross-over thing is done, including what to do on both of the machines (and what I need to do it).

2. macrumors 6502

You need a router. That's it.

3. macrumors G5

Consultant

"Ethernet crossover cables" are VERY OLD technology. Most modern computers don't need it. (Ethernet ports on Macs can auto-crossover for a long time now).

You should get one of the AirPort products.
    http://www.apple.com/wifi/

I have the AirPort Extreme.

4. macrumors G4

Technically that's not true. But pactically, yes just buy a router.

The reason is that now days a low-end home router costs not much more than a hub. But if you attempt the connection sharing thing using a hub both computers will have to be powered up at once. Also the router will have a nice firewall built in and some other usfull features as well.

So I agree "buy a router" If you are strapped for cash look on ebay or creigslist

5. macrumors newbie

Apple does sell an over priced Ethernet wireless N router witch does you no good use, if you have the pc running g or even b. I would rec emend going to a computer parts store, and just getting a good but cheap linksus router. you don't need to do much on the mac if all three connections (Modem, Mac, and PC) are connected to the router.

6. macrumors newbie