How to set up a personal file sharing network ala p2p

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asphalt-proof, Jan 2, 2005.

1. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I have friends all over the world. We have been discussing ways that we can share photos, music and home movies through a p2p system that would be secure (some of my stuff is really bad). There is about 25 of us (some from grad school and a couple of friends of friends, etc. It would be nice if it had a built in chat room, IM capabilities, and room to grow. is this a feature on X code? I have looked at WASTE buts it looks like its in the Alpha stage still. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I don't know what OS these people run but a Carracho or KDX system sounds like a good idea.

http://www.haxial.com/products/kdx/index2.html

KDX seems to do everything you want and supports mac/pc.KDX could use a centralised server, but this should not be a problem as long as one of the members has lots of bandwidth.

You could also each set up your own little server but that would be less efficient.

Direct Connect is also an option.

3. Psychic Shopper macrumors member

File Sharing

I use Limewire 4.26 to share some of my bad videos. Version 4.26 has some kind of direct connect, if you know your friends ip address.
    I get more uploads from P2P than my web page

4. asphalt-proof thread starter macrumors 6502a

Direct Connect is also an option.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean as in an ethernet direct connect? Or is this a program? Do you have a link?
    Pete