How to set up LCD with laptop for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mojo67821, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

This may sound like a stupid question, but I was wondering how this works.

I was thinking about buying an LCD for my MBP15 so I can play games with a larger screen. My question is not how to hook it up but rather what setups people use.

Do people typically use external keyboards and have their laptop off to the side? I guess it seemed weird to me to use your laptop's keyboard while looking over the display so you can see the LCD.

Can anyone enlighten me as to exactly how this works?

2. nkadlac macrumors newbie

I am not a gamer but as far as setup goes, I have a dell 2407WFP hooked up through my laptop using the DVI to mini DVI cable from Apple. I'll keep my macbook in clamshell mode (that just means it's closed) and project everything to my larger monitor. I also keep my macbook on an iCurve stand.

3. nkadlac macrumors newbie

Oh also, I use an external wired keyboard and mouse attached to my monitor since it has extra USB outputs. I've never enjoyed the connectivity using a bluetooth mouse/keyboard. It always felt a bit behind.

4. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

How do you keep your laptop from sleeping when you close it?

5. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

once it is closed and an external monitor is hooked up to it, you can wake it up using an external keyboard or mouse.

6. raptor96 macrumors regular

My setup:

I use a 19" Samsung LCD + Wireless external keyboard + wired external mouse (for some reason if I use the wireless mouse the computer won't wake... so I have to use either the wireless mouse or the wireless keyboard so I chose the keyboard). I have a USB hub into my powerbook (for ipod + mouse + printer) and I have my external usb plugged into the the other USB port on my computer. My computer is closed at my desk and I use the large monitor for all my work/gaming. Ciao!

7. nkadlac macrumors newbie

Make sure you have it plugged in though, I don't think clamshell mode works when the computer is not plugged in. I basically use it like a tower until I go somewhere, then I unhook everything.

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Why not use that laptop as a screen for your mail, IM, itunes, or whatever. It's there, why not use it? :confused:

9. phuong macrumors 6502a

because most games run in fullscreen mode and when one of the screens is in this mode, the other goes black (i.e., unusable)
    of course if these screens are mirrored, it's a different story.