How to set up Remote app with AppleTV?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ero87, Mar 22, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

ero87

Any idea on how to do this? When I launch the remote app it just says Home Sharing and Add and iTunes library, but I just want to control the apple tv.

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You need to have Home Sharing enabled before you can use it to control the ATV. Enable it in Settings.

3. macrumors 65816

scottness

I'm having a similar problem. Home sharing is enabled, their both on the same wifi network, and the Remote app still won't find the AppleTV.

4. macrumors 6502a

If you have a new ATV (the 1080 ones thats just came out) you are SOL until they release an update. Wont work.

5. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Wow, that's disappointing. Granted I did buy it with intentions of loading XBMC on the thing and streaming off my HTPC, but that really is a bummer.

6. macrumors member

I just bought the new ATV & the Remote app is working just fine...

7. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Not working for me. :(

Admittedly I didn't care much to troubleshoot. Basically waiting for jailbreak. Watching a bit of netflix here and there too.

8. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S)

I had no problem setting up my ATV3 with my existing network. Remote.app works just fine with it and I still have my ATV2 running in the bedroom as well.

9. macrumors regular

Works perfectly fine on my 4S and 3rd gen iPad with my new Apple TV.

10. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Seems like some people have issues while others don't?

11. macrumors regular

Works fine for me on my iPad 2 and iPad 3 and I have 2 new AppleTVs in my home.

12. macrumors regular

Working fine here too. It's especially good for searching. Instead of that horrible interface in ATV I just dictate what I want to search for.

13. macrumors 6502a

Are you on 5.1? Doesn't work on my iPad or 4s and a ton of others can't get it working either. There is no ATV option, just home sharing

14. macrumors member

I'm on 5.1 & the remote app is working on my iPhone 4 & iPad 2. There is no ATV option for me either, just had to enable home sharing on all devices & I believe in iTunes.

15. macrumors 6502a

So once you enable home sharing on all devices you can control your ATV? This makes no sense to me. My ATV is hooked up to my TV, not my computer.

16. macrumors member

But your iPhone/iPad is not hooked up to your TV. If you want the app to work, you have to enable home sharing on your account & then on your devices.

17. macrumors 6502a

I just got my new Apple TV today. It seems to be working okay. I connected it right out the box to the TV, enable home sharing, downloaded the remote app, and everything is working fine. In fact, I'm typing this while airplay mirrored to my TV.

My phone is a 4S running OS 5.1. my Windows PC is running the latest iTunes, and the Apple TV is running whatever it is out-of-the-box.

18. mbell1975, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Eh, finally got it.

19. macrumors regular

Yes I'm on 5.1. I enabled home sharing on all my devices, which is likely how I got it to work. It was my first time setting up Apple TV.