How to setup Dual Monitors?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Wilson, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2004
    Can anyone give me some instructions on how to set up dual monitors on my Dual 2.0 G5? I have a new viewsonic CRT monitor and I want to use an old CRT 15" as my second monitor. The second monitor would be used just to keep my tool bars and other stuff so eventhough the old monitor is crap, it will be fine if I could still hook it up. Would I need to buy any adapters or anything to set up the dual monitors? and would a dual setup work with an old CRT monitor? I'm currently running my new CRT monitor at 1600X1200 and my old CRT monitor doesn't support that high of a resolution. I assume both monitors have to run with the same resolution.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Both of your CRT monitors are probably VGA, and your video card has ADC and DVI. So i'm assuming you are already using an adapter of some sort for your current monitor, and you will also need an adapter for the other monitor. Once they are plugged in though, you don't really need to set anything up. Just turn the computer on and voila you have dual monitors. Is your current monitor plugged into the DVI or ADC? I can't tell you what adapter you would need without knowing that.

Both monitors do NOT have to run at the same resolution.
  3. Wilson thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2004
    I'm using the adapter that came with my G5, I had to connect it to the plug on my crt monitor in order for me to plug it in the tower. Would I need to buy some sort of splitter or is there two plugs on the back of the G5 to plug in monitors.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    You need this cable. That will make the other port a standard VGA port. Then you can run both monitors at separate resolutions at the same time :D
  5. Sneeper macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    San Francisco
    There are two, like someone mentioned above. ADC and DVI. You need an adaptor for both to plug in VGA monitors.