how to setup network password

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stagecustom, Oct 29, 2006.

1. stagecustom macrumors regular

hello. I just realized my D-link 514 router's settings are still default (so when i go to its address, it asked for name and password, no password just admin) now is there away to change the network name to say our last name etc. and password to anything like a postal code etc. Or does it have to be one of those random weird 10 letter things?

Thanks.
    :)

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Usually you can change the password to whatever you want. I like to put an * or $ in front of whatever password you choose. Then its less likely someone will guess it as they won't know to try it with an * or $ in front of it.

Otherwise you can check out the support section for D-Link and see.

3. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

but where do i make it, there are so many things i can enable that have passwords, its confusing. where should i go to create the password and change the name, which is default (default settings)

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

What is the model of the router? It will have something like wua-514 or dvm514 or something like that. Its located on the bottom of the router on the sticker.

Thanks

5. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

D-link DL 514. i want to know where to go in the setup online, to change the network password (as in the one that when someone trys to access our network they will have to enter a password) right now the network password is nothing and its called default and i think ppl are just using it. I don't care about the setup password, which is just name: admin with no password, I think some ppl think i want to change that one but i don't. just the one to access it and the name. i have no idea where to... i want to change it to say a 6 letter/number one, such as a postal code or something. any help would be greatly appreciated. i searched this and found no answer.

6. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Okay, so open Safari or whatever internet browser you use. Type in your router's IP address which is usually http://192.168.0.1. Log in with the username (default is Admin or whatever you might have changed it to). From there you can change your network's name and password. Hope this helps. ;)

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

On my netgear there is an option marked set password for changing this ;)

8. stagecustom thread starter macrumors regular

hey guys, i figured it out. Was a little confusing at first, but now its all good.