How to share internet via ethernet between two laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuletilla, Nov 16, 2003.

1. chuletilla macrumors newbie

Hi guys, im trying to share my modem internet between a powerbook and an ibook, so i clicked the share internet on the one connected, then i plugged the ethernet cable to the other, but i tried to navigate and seems that im not conected,

can someone please tell me how do i set the two computers to get them going,

txs for you time

:)

2. encro macrumors 6502

encro

3. davebl macrumors member

Make sure you are using a cross over networking cable if you are going from book to book. If you do not have a crossover cable, then you need to go to from the sharing computer to a hub/switch via a regular networking cable, and then from the hub/switch to the non-sharing computer via regular cable.

A crossover cable is simply a regular networking cable but with one connector "backwards" as to omit a hub or switch.

Dave

4. chuletilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Its done, txs

Hi, txs for the response i tried using the powerbook to conect to the internet,
    and the ibook to get the shared one. so i repeat the steps, and it worked instantly, i was reading about IP over firewire but i dont have one of those at the time, i have this ethernet cable only.

:)

5. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I thought most modern powerbooks had autosensing ethernet so you didn't have to use a cross over cable. my 17" is able to do this, but I don't remember when the ability was added to the line