How to share mail between users?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zagato27, Oct 18, 2003.

1. zagato27 macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    The Hill
    Looking for some help in how I can share email between users on my G5. New to this separate users with loggins etc. but so far it's pretty cool. My family is logging in separately so that we each have our own preferences on desktops, browsers etc. but have run into a glitch. We have only one email account and when a user downloads mail using mail it is unavailable to others. How can I set this up so that each user has access to mail that is already downloaded. Currently I have "Mail"; Entourage; and Mozilla configured and working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thks
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    the best thing to do would be to get separate email accounts for each user, which are generally offered for free by most ISPs (some will charge a small fee per mailbox, but most give you 5-7 free). I would inquire if i were you. This also gives the benefit of a small amount of privacy (for the adults anyway) and less confusion for recipients (which person is this from??). If this is not an option at any cost, your best bet is to identify the mailbox files that Mail uses, move them to the /users/shared, then use aliases or symlinks to put those files in the appropriate places in each user's account. Someone else can explain this for you more in depth, as I don't know offhand what files Mail would need to share (both mailbox files and preferences, i think)...

edit: i do not think this would work on Panther with fast-user-switching, unless only one user had mail open at the same time...