How to ship a refurb mac to overseas?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spiff101, Apr 11, 2006.

1. spiff101 macrumors member

I'm thinking of buying a refurbished mac with extended AppleCare. I'm living in Switzerland, so if I could get one delivered here it would save me a ton on VAT; however, the UK Apple Store doesn't deliver overseas, and the Swiss store never has any refurbs.

Any advice on how I could get a refurbished mac delivered here without paying VAT, either through Apple Stores or resellers?

cheers

spiff

2. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

This would help me as well. I am shipping my old G4 to fatsoforgotso in the UK. Not charging him money. The laptop doesn't work but he is going to fix it. I don't want him to pay too much in duty or VAT though. Do I just list the laptop as having a value of say 20 bucks? How would this work?

eV

3. Oliver23 macrumors newbie

Oliver23

Und noch ein Newbie, was meinst Du genau mit refurb? Der LEO hilft mir nicht weiter. Aufgemöbelt?

4. spiff101 thread starter macrumors member

5. Oliver23 macrumors newbie

Oliver23

Yes I have seen it, but it doesn't make sense. Do you know the TV Show "Pimp my ride"? It means something like "pimp". A pimped Mac???

6. spiff101 thread starter macrumors member

it just means any faults are fixed so it's as-good-as-new but not new; I think there may also be small defects like scratches etc, not sure. So it's not really pimped - but if they were selling pimped-out macs, I'd buy for sure..

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

The trouble with this is if your laptop goes missing your courier will only repay you what you insured (aka 20 bucks).

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well as far as VAT goes, he'd pay you, and then you'd remit the VAT to HMRC. But, if you're not VAT registered and don't need to be then VAT isn't an issue there.