How to show background processes ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tomaz, Jul 20, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm quite new to Osx, after having had a PC for decades. I was wondering how it's possible to show running background processes in Osx. I know how to show running applications, but in windows, by pressing ctrl-atl-del you can look at applications as well as processes...
    Can anyone tell me how to do that in Osx ?
    Thanks!

2. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Easy enough!

Go to Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor.

Edit: In Activity Monitor, you'll need to chose Monitor->Show Activity Monitor if it doesn't come up by default, and, within that window, use the top center pull-down menu to select which process categories you wish to see.

It's all there.

3. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Note that you can also go to (apple menu)->System Preferences...->Accounts->[your account]->Startup Items, click on the '+' button, and have Activity Monitor (or anything else you want) start up upon login. I tend to have the CPU meter running, although others prefer MenuMeters....

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

5. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

No problem at all! Feel free to post any questions to this forum; the membership is - a few bad apples aside ;) - quite helpful. If your question hasn't been answered (at all, or adequately), bump the thread by posting another post at the bottom of it after a few hours. Sometimes, you just happen to post at a time when no one is looking at a particular area of the forum, or at the 'New posts' section, and your post just gets missed. Generally, almost any reasonable question gets answered fairly quickly.