How to show old style reply header in Snow Leopard Mail...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tim5021, Sep 2, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2006
    Just installed Snow Leopard. I want to stop using Entourage. So, when I reply to an email in 10.6 I want the From, Sent, To, and Subject fields to appear above the original email (see example below) as it did in 10.5 and earlier. How do I do this...?

Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:30 PM
    To: 'Steve Jobs'
    Subject: Injection Mold quote

Thanks. Tim
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Right click the bar above the mail messages and select the columns you want to show.

On the Reply & New message window drop down the envelope icon and select the fields you want.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2006

Where is the "Reply & New message window drop down" you are referring to...?
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2006
    When I reply to an email, Mail 10.6 shows the following style of header:

On Sep 2, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Steve Jobs wrote:

I want the header to display like Entourage or older versions of Mail, like this:

Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:30 PM
    To: 'Steve Jobs'
    Subject: Injection Mold quote

Thanks in advance. Tim
  5. macrumors 68030

Apr 19, 2008
    Pandora, Home Tree
    Are you talking about this?

Attached Files:

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2006
    OK, if you reply to that message (using Mail in Snow Leopard) the header would appear like this...

On Aug 30, 2009, at 6:43 PM, wrote:

But I want it to appear like it did in earlier versions of Mail like this...

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2009 6:43 PM
    To: 'Turner Michael'

In a work environment you want to be able to look down a long string of emails and see additional info above each email. I just want to be able to customize the header so that it appears the same way it does in Entourage and all earlier versions of

Did Apple purposely leave this ability out of Mail in Snow Leopard. It's frustrating because I can now connect to my Exchange server and finally get rid of Entourage, but then Apple throws a curve ball in by not allowing full header info above each email in a string of emails... why...?
  7. macrumors regular

Sep 2, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    The way Mail acts by default in Snow Leopard is the same as it acted under Leopard when replying to a message (the same "On $DATE, at $TIME...." style quotation).

Either you're remembering 10.5's incorrectly, or there was some configuration you did under it that you aren't mentioning now. I'm not aware of way to greatly customize the format - though I haven't tried.
  8. macrumors newbie

Sep 15, 2009
    the reply format doesn't work in the business world

I'm have the same gripe. There needs to be an option to let users reply in the following format

Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 6:28 PM
    To: <name>
    Cc: <name>
    Subject: <text>
  9. macrumors newbie

May 18, 2009
    Does anyone have a solution

I'd ditch Entourage if I had this option!
  10. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2010
    Proper header info in reply messages fixed yet?

Did this issue ever get resolved? I'm struggling to find a solution to this exact problem. When I forward a message it displays all the correct header information, but when I reply it doesn't.
    - Jon
  11. macrumors member

Jun 5, 2010
    Bump ... Anyone have a solution to this?

12. macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2009
    Here's the closest thing I've found to a solution:

The above only works for Snow Leopard (10.6.4 or later). This is kind of a non-issue in Lion now that messages are displayed in a thread with the desired headers visible.
  13. macrumors regular

Sep 17, 2010
    This is exactly what i was looking for... thanks so much!!!
  14. macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2010
    thank you very very much

thank you very very much