how to sort playlist alphabetically in IPHOTO

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fallacy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. fallacy macrumors member

thats it. thats my question. It seems like a simple thing i should be able to figure out but i can't do it. Any help would awesome. thx.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't know that I quite understand.

Either you want the albums on the left side below the library to be sorted alphabetically... to which the answer is you can drag those up and down to reposition, so the sorting is manual.

Or you want the photos within an album (or playlist as you call it) to be sorted alphabetically by photo name... to which the answer is the photos are listed in the order your dragged them into the album, and again reordering them in the album is a manual thing.

The latter, and possibly both of those things may be addressed in the iLife '07 version of iPhoto, and many of us will tell you that the structure and organizational capacities and design of iPhoto is somewhat lacking and that there is plenty of room for improvement.

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

p.s. in the future in order to make your simple question easier to answer, it may be a good idea to give us a little more information so we know exactly what you are talking about as well as possibly what you are trying to accomplish and why.

4. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

my bad. Although you did answer me about doing things manually. So thanks. That being said, is there another app to use that would make our lives easier when sorting pics?

thx.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Wait to see what improvements iPhoto gets with iLife '07.

Also I always VIEW my Library by Film Rolls, and then close the triangular carrots to the right so that only the Roll you are viewing is open. Each time you import from a Camera or by dragging photos in from email or a disk or something it creates a new roll. You can also rename rolls in the lower left hand corner by clicking on the info box to come up. Select the Roll where it is titled and dated and then in the box where it says roll 52 or whatever, change the name to Xmas 2006 or whatever. If I have a lot of photos in a roll from different things, I just type them, such as Thanksgiving 2006 - Trip to the Zoo - First Snow 2006 - More Pictures of the Dog. That way I know what is in every roll. You can move photos from one roll to another. You can also change the date of the roll if you drop in older photos from a disk and want them sorted as such.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think that is for the library, and possibly within a playlist. But not for sorting playlists on the left. I think that is a manual movement. They are listed in the order they were added unlike iTunes which puts them in the alphabetic order once they are named.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes, that's for the Library and whatever Albums you have, etc. Is that not what the OP was asking??

Yes, things in the "Source" list are sorted manually. I can't imagine someone has so many things there that it would be hard to sort manually?

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

No, you had a great point. I just don't know which ? the OP was asking as you can see by my 1st reply. As for the title. For most people that may be the order they were taken in DSC2342, DSC2343, DSC2344, even if they weren't dragged into the album in that order since most people don't rename individual photos (too time consuming).