How to spec a 27"?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by akatsuki, Nov 9, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2010
    So what is the best return on features, etc? I am thinking base with 3TB fusion and add aftermarket RAM, but does it make sense to go higher than that.

I don't game much, but tend to have many things running at once and my wife will use Parallels a decent amount. Does it make sense to bump up to the higher spec?
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2012
    Get it all, EVERYTHING. Full-spec! And if you can't afford it find a way. Sell your kids, mom, pop, uncle, and grandma, even your wife!

Ok jokes aside I personally always buy my new Macs Fully-spec'd, especially given the fact that a lot of the newer Macs coming out are non user-upgradeable. So personally for me if I can't afford to go Full-spec I just continue to tos the pennies on the side for the day I can be able to purchase a Full-spec Mac. And lemme say this I don't game, video edit, photoshop, or pretty much anything other than just browse the web, look at youtube clips, download movies, etc etc. So that being said I can tell you from the get go that I really don't need to go Full-spec but I just do as most of my computers always seem to have a life sentence being I take good care of my things and as they say most people don't need a super fast sports car but that doesn't mean they don't want one or can't have one. I guess I look at my computers being the same way.
  3. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2012
    All depends on what you are planning on doing with it in the next 1-5 years (or for how long you plan on using it).

Take the amount of the iMac and divide the cost by how many months you gonna use it and this way you will see that an upgrade is not that much of a big deal.

Maybe next year you gonna start photoshop or video edit, you neve know. An with the base iMac this might be not possible an you won't buy a new one right away.
  4. macrumors P6

Jun 11, 2007
    With the speed and expansion capabilities of ThunderBolt, I think the stock 1TB is pretty good. You should stick with the stock RAM too, as adding your own later on from another website is massively cheap.

There's not much more you can do in terms of expansion - GPU, etc. So those are your only options!! :)
  5. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2012
    I'd upgrade to i7, 2GB graphics and 1TB Fusion Drive. The RAM afterwards yourself.

That's what I'll do.
  6. macrumors member

Feb 14, 2009
    I would go for the 680m GTX and 1 TB fusion drive

i7 not so much
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2010
  8. macrumors 68000

Feb 11, 2009
    i7, 680mx and 768 flash drive, 8gb of ram and add 32gb of ram from another vendor yourself. That's the only way to go!
  9. macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2012
    How easy is it to add your own ram.

Can you just go to a place like new egg and tell them what I have and then do it myself easily if I don't usually do anything with hardware

Also does it negate the warranty at all
  10. macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2011
    My BTO spec list for the highly anticipated iMac 27".

3.4 GHz Quad-Core i7.
    8GB Memory.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX (with 1GB of GDDR5 memory).
    768GB Flash Storage ;)
  11. macrumors member

Nov 8, 2012
    My 27" BTO: i7, 8GB RAM (will of course upgrade to 32GB on my own), GTX 680MX, 1TB Fusion Drive (or 768 GB SSD depending on the price).

Goddamnit Apple. RELEASE IT NOW.
  12. macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2007
    Go full spec.

The thing is with an iMac; once you get it, your stuck with it. (I don't mean that in a bad way)

Its just there is no upgrading (outside of RAM) and no real way to improve your iMac after purchase. So go hard up front. 2007 I bought my iMac and it's still going strong... and its going strong because I spec'd the **** out of it then.

Its been near six years now since I first bought the iMac... I can't wait for the new one because I've been saving my $$ for the past two years knowing full well that I'm buying it maxed out (I'll add the RAM myself, thank you very much Apple.)

Max out the graphics card, Max out the processor, Get the 1TB Fusion... max out the RAM yourself... and your set... for at least 5+ years.

Oh and I forgot to mention... my wife and I made a deal when I bought my first iMac six years ago. In the PC world, I used to buy a new computer every two years but Mac's being a bit more expensive she made me commit to a five year plan. So it's been well over five now and she's got nothing to say :)

That's the way to sell it to the spouse.
  13. thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2010
    If you do the math, I am not sure this is the way to go.
    Base 27" = $1799
    Loaded = ~2500

So you are talking an increment of $700 or so. Which is a long way towards a new base model much sooner. You could shave off two years off your five year cycle and have a new base model every three years and have the same overall cash flow. And a base model in three years will slaughter your top of the line model.
  14. macrumors regular

Mar 9, 2012
    This is my plan too.
  15. macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2012
    Definitely the 680MX, maybe the Fusion drive, and no for me on the i7.
  16. macrumors member

Nov 8, 2006
    Why no i7 for most of you guys? Is it too small of a difference for the price? Or too small alltogether?
  17. macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2012
    It would be a small difference for me, I might not even see a difference at all really. i7 is good if you are doing heavy video or photo work since those rely pretty heavily on the CPU. I myself only get into light to moderate video/photo work as a small project every now and then. It doesn't bother me to spend a couple more minutes to encode a video or a few seconds on a photo since my livelihood doesn't depend on it.
  18. macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2007
    Interested in this as well. Does the cost not justify the gains?
  19. macrumors member

Sep 24, 2012

I'm not sure if I should buy the low end or the high end model of the 27' iMac.
    The processor is just a minor upgrade (2.9 Ghz vs 3.2 Ghz). I don't need the i7.
    Ram is equal and I want to add the fusion drive.

The big difference is the graphics card: 512mb GTX 660m vs 1gb GTX 675mx.
    I want to play some games like WoW, Diablo 3 and CSGO in native resolution.

The GTX 660m is okay but I think the 512mb will be a bottleneck in the future. Is the upgrade to the GTX 675mx worth the money? I'm worry about the heat.
    Will it melt with the GTX 675mx / GTX 680mx?
  20. macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2010
    Ditto, I think this will be quite a popular config.
  21. macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2012
    Why not 3TB fusion drive? Can't add more space later, so get as much as you can at the outset.

Don't most people have more than 1TB of data nowadays?
  22. macrumors member

Sep 24, 2012
    The higher the space on a HDD, the higher the chance that it will fail.
  23. macrumors 68030

Jul 11, 2008
    Why do people think Apple would let you pay $2k+ for a computer that would melt (and need to be replaced on Apple's dime)? :confused:

If you're interested in gaming at native resolution and you can spare the change, by all means get the 680mx.
  24. macrumors regular

May 28, 2012
    Care to back this statement up with some statistics?
  25. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2011
    I don't believe you can use Bootcamp w/ the 3tb fusion configuration.