How to spend $3300 . . .

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Freg3000, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I have accumulated about $3300 after about a year of saving here and there, and it’s definitely time to upgrade my tray loading 333 iMac. So, when looking at what Macs to buy, I have come down to two possibilities: Powermac DP 1Ghz with the 17 inch display, or 17 iMac and 800 12inch newly released iBook. Both with total $3200 I believe. Ok, so I am in a spot, I don't need the power of a Powermac, but I would like expandability. I would get the DP 1Ghz because if I got the route of sheer power, I want a faster bus and better ram. I don't really need a laptop, but I would definitely use it for sure. And the iMac looks just so cool. My question is, am I better off with a Powermac, or an iMac/iBook combo. Thanks for reading this

P.S. Is it completely foolish to be buying two Macs at once? Is it smart to be buying a desktop and a laptop at the same time? I sort of want to, I really want to be irresponsible with this money and get a lot of cool Apple stuff. :)

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Two macs at once is probably bad idea, you would be better off with one high end laptop, if portability is what you want.
    But if it were me, I would get a PowerMac

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Powerbook 1GHz with SuperDrive and 1GB of RAM...that'll satisfy any of your needs.

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well

What do you do? I mean, what apps will you be running, do you game...etc.

If it were me, I would buy a Dual 1.0GHz and with rebates, get the 17in display. It brings you to a total of 2400, and double your RAM for 40 bucks, so 2400.

You can then get an iBook 700 for 805 dollars, but if you have 300 more bucks, you can get the 800 with the 32MB grahpics.

Oh yea, to get these prices, you have to spend 99 dollars and register as a Student Developer.

So if you get a Dual 1GHz with 512MB of RAM, a 17in LCD, and the low-end iBook, you have a total of 3205.

5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Another choice....

From the Student Developer store, get the iMac 17in for 1600. Then you can either get a low end PowerBook G4 for 1839, or a high end iBook with an iPod for about 1800.

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

As with all of these types of questions, it's really hard to say without knowing a lot more about your situation. I personally enjoy the expandibility of the Power Mac.

Another option you might like to look at, though, is a PowerBook. (Sorry to make your descision even more complicated ;)) For $3,000 you can grab a high end PowerBook. That will give you the portability of the iBook with almost the power of the Power Mac. If I was having dilemma like yours, I'd go for the PowerBook.

[edit]
    Woah, in the time it took me to write that there were about 3 other posts! Either I type really slow or I was very distracted by the TV...
    [/edit]

7. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Re: Another choice....

St.. st... stuu... stuudent developent store? WHAT IS THIS VOODOO YOU SPEAK OF?

I'm a student developer... why am I paying full price for crap? I can't find info on the apple site. *hits self*

*grabs you* TELL ME. I want a new iPod!

8. Draft macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Another choice....

This is the first that I've heard of this student developer price as well. That may come in handy some time in the future;)

Draft

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

10. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Hehe

LOL... I don't love you, I hate you... When I click the link I get, "Sorry. Unable to enter the requested store."

Ha ha ha!

11. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Re: Hehe

Go to this page, then click on the Hardware Purchase Program ad to get to the page referenced above. (This link good for U.S. residents only...)

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

what the!!!???:eek: :eek: :eek: :D

isn't that even cheaper than education pricing?!:eek:

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, that's nice pricing. Now how do we swing the special status? Anyone know how that's done? I could save a bundle on a new TiPB......

D

14. Freg3000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Thanks for the help. Now I need to look at those students discounts.
    I never really thought about a Powerbook, I guess that makes everything more complicated. Oh well. It's a good problem at least.

15. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

okay the developer hardware discounts...

you must pay $99 to enroll in the student developer program. you must currently be a student. your discount is ONCE IN A LIFETIME, so choose wisely. Make sure you arent going to want the Quad-G5 3GHz and wish you hadn't bought now. you must also be enrolled in some sort of computer programming class, and they may ask for documentation.

those that fall into this category can take advantage. if you dont...please for the love of Apple do not try and abuse it. It would be nice if programs like this continued to be available for the honest folks.

p.s. that was not an accusation.

16. cubist macrumors 68020

How 'bout a DP 867 and an iBook?

... instead of the iMac, if you have a monitor laying around you can get the DP 867 for not much more, and it's a powerful and expandable machine. Then get the 700MHz cd-rom ibook for your roving pursuits.:cool:

17. cocopelli macrumors member

What???

I was just checking the prices on the new powerbooks. According to what you guys are saying it should be cheaper with the develper discount but it comes out cheaper with the regular student discount. I checked a fully loaded PB with an additional 17" display. with the developer discount its 4187 with 660 promotional savings(including 400 for the display). with the regular student discount its 3958 with 642 promotional savings. thats alot cheaper plus when you add in the 99 dollars you have to spend to get the developer discount it just doesnt make sense. whats up with that? am I in the wrong place. please help I am planning on buying the new power book and it would be nice to get it for cheaper the the regular student discount. thanks for the help.