how to split a large audio file into mutiple tracks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by x704, Jan 6, 2007.

1. x704 macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2006
    I would like to be able to split long recondings (over 30 min long) in to something like 5 min long sections. To make things easier on me, if it could simply burn the sections onto a CD without me having to load the sections onto iTunes to do the burning then that would be great.
  2. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    Audacity is a great, free program for sound editing.
  3. iJUNKY macrumors member

Jan 15, 2006
    Belfast, Ireland
    it wouldn't be that hard to chop it up in quicktime, and just import the lot into itunes and burn a playlist. it should take a few mins.
  4. x704 thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2006
    I have audacity, how would you do it in audacity? I use audacity to trim the sound file, then export it to WAV because mp3 export crashes then back into iTunes to convert back into mp3. And I don't see a way to do it in quicktime (player?)?
  5. samiwas macrumors 65816

Aug 26, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I always use a program called Sound Studio for this. You set markers along the track, then there's an option to save the separate files based on marker positions. Nice and easy...
  6. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    I second that. Sound Studio is definitely worth using
  7. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Jun 8, 2003

There's an awesome app from Rogue Amoeba, called Fission that does the trick wonderfully. It's a nice OS X interface and allows you to slice up big files into smaller tracks.

It does losses editing for WAV, AIFF, MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless. The demo is free, but your audio will be degraded when you export it. The full version costs $32, but I believe it's worth it if you want to do audio editing like this.

As for burning, there's another application called simply, "Burn" that can do simple burning of audio CDs, video CDs, DVDs, etc... It's free and open source, which is awesome.
  8. x704 thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 15, 2006
    thanks for the replies, I will look into them. I probably can't do anything tonight because I am on dial up internet... but at work I can download stuff on my laptop.