All iPads How to start programming with Xcode

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Forzalex, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2012
    I am looking to start programming for iPad. I have yet to find a clear and concise introduction to the subject.

I have an iPad 2 and have some questions?

What do I need to start?
    Can I do it for free? My intention is solely personal use, now that the whole family has iPads.
    How can I download Xcode?
    I cannot find it in the app store!
    Do I need to use an older version of Xcode, since i have an older iPad

Thank you for any help
  2. macrumors 68000

Sep 13, 2011
  3. macrumors 6502

Dec 14, 2011
    As the first comment: Go with the Stanford podcasts.
    As for your xcode problem ... You can use the current version.
    Open mac app store, not the app store. Then search: xcode.

You won't be doing any programming on your iPad 2 but on your mac ;)
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    You can write code and test it in the simulator for free, in order to run it on hardware you need to pay the $99/year.

Generally, no. Especially if you keep your older iPad up to date with software versions. Here's a link to MAS for the latest xcode.

As to the other two comments, you didn't say how much or little overall programming experience you have. The Stanford podcasts mentioned are really quite good, but assume some basic programming working knowledge of "C".

Another place to start would be the Big Nerd Ranch books, again which book depends on what your previous knowledge is...

5. macrumors 68030

Sep 22, 2012
    Andover, UK
    I can recommend the objective C and iOS videos. I used these to learn, although I'm an accomplished .Net coder anyway.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    First go to the iPhone/iPad Programming forum on here and at the top are the How do I get started Guides!