iPad How to stop annoying moving ads in Safari?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by walkman, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Lately several websites have started displaying annoying banners that require I click an 'X' to close them - only to reappear on the next screen refresh. It's enough to make me hate my iPad (which I have been loving!).

Settings:turn off popups does no good. Turn off Java works, but it limits the functionality of the websites too much.

--> Is there anything I can do with Safari? Or is there a different iPad browser that can stop these banners?

iPad4/IOS 6.1

2. macrumors 603

saving107

Theverge.com has been doing this, but the X is so small that many times I end up click the ad link.

But as mobile and tablet computing becomes more and more popular, advertising on these devices will happen more frequently (any way possible)

3. thread starter macrumors member

"INC.com" was driving me crazy doing it every minute. So I left the site vowing to never visit them again. I went to TheVerge and they were doing it too!! I love the TheVerge so I really don't want to give up their website. I want a browser that can control ads!

4. macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

Is there no effective adblocking feature in any browser available for iPad?

5. macrumors 603

There surely is; for example, in iCab Mobile, where you can provide any ad filtering URL.

6. macrumors 68030

Block them at your router

7. macrumors 603

saving107

Would you mind explaining how-to?

8. macrumors G3

Which doesn't do anything on cellular.

9. macrumors 68030

You can do it on a machine running dns too, if you happen to have a server..or on individual laptops.

Router. Find a used wrt54gl or similar and install tomato or dd-wrt

Then look up how to implement the ad blocking. It's not very difficult.

Yah it doesn't do anything on cellular, so if I was surfing that much on cellular I'd use icab or atomic.

10. macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

Hate the website not the iPad. Complain to the website that the ads are intrusive and making it difficult to use and that you will not be visiting their site anymore. :D

11. macrumors 6502

Atomic web browser or icab mobile. Both with ad blockers built in. Both better then safari.

Problem solved.

12. macrumors 6502

The problem that I have with Atomic is I just do not like the look of it, especially the iPad. The tabs look horrible on the iPad version. If you open up say two tabs there's a ton of wasted space.

Also I've tried to alert them to this bug but I don't think they never respond to emails. If you do a search and include the character "&" everything after it gets cut off so if I search for "AT&T iPhone 5" in the search bar it will search for "AT"

13. macrumors 68030

That's because it assumes its part of a query. Just do att