How to stop Dropbox from starting on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tiredof, Feb 23, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I had dropbox active at one point and stopped using it. Now the welcome to dropbox (setup) screen comes up every time I start the computer. If I stopped using it why the heck it is asking me to start it again every time. It is past annoying now. There are no settings that I can find that stops this. Why?

I am ready to throw this computer out the window.

Thank You.

OS X 10.8.2

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
    • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
      (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• /Library/StartupItems/

3. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Go to this screen in System Prefs and you will see Dropbox listed. Just select it then click the minus at the bottom to remove it.

[​IMG]

4. tiredof, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

My understanding for the start items is that only hides the window. That does not stop it from starting up, that will still take up system resources.

ls shows

cd StartupItems
    ls
    MySQLCOM PenTabletDriver VirtualBox

cd LaunchAgents
    ls
    com.seagate.SeagateStorageGauge.plist com.symantec.uiagent.application.plist
    com.symantec.errorreporter-periodicagent.plist

What is your Command: cd ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    What is your Command: ls
    com.adobe.ARM.202f4087f2bbde52e3ac2df389f53a4f123223c9cc56a8fd83a6f7ae.plist
    com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.8E765412-5C14-4AF3-AA79-A9C99B06B2A8.plist
    com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-appledev@me.com-SharedServices.Agent.plist
    com.apple.FolderActions.enabled.plist
    com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist
    com.facebook.videochat.AppleHarry.plist
    opt.plist
    org.virtualbox.vboxwebsrv.plist
    What is your Command:

I just saw the ~/Library/LaunchAgents and tired that and no Dropbox

5. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Checking the box would leave the app launching and hide it... that is correct. What I am saying is if you click Dropbox in the screen then click the minus at the bottom (my second arrow) it will remove Dropbox from this launch list altogether and fix your issue.

You can ignore all those folders. Dropbox does not use any of those folders/methods to launch.

6. tiredof, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

Your kidding?

Thats what it does? Damn.

This box is showing you 3 different settings then?

1. So anything on that list is what will automatically start up.
    2. Checking the box hides it from sight on startup
    3. clicking the minus then deletes it from start up.

Sheesh, THANK YOU!!!!! for explaining that. It has been driving me crazy. Sometimes the simplest solution is the correct answer.

Since the post I have signed up for dropbox and clicked on the blue box in the upper right menu bar. I stopped it from start up (AND yes it is now not in that list.)

How can I un-sign up for Dropbox so my information is not out there in netland? That is what started this whole thing. A friend was sharing files with me and when we were done I got rid of the dropbox. (dont remember how I did that.) I dont want to mess this thing up again.

It may not even matter being that this is not starting and I am not signing in. THANK YOU.

7. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

You go it! Yes to all three. :)

You can go to this link to delete your Dropbox account if you want.

I really like the service though. I have all my documents synced to Dropbox and use their iPhone app to access documents on the go.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

It may be a great service. I dont like having my personal documents on someone else's server. I run my own server and that is all I need.

Thank you for the help today. I see where I went wrong. I had partial information from other various posts and didnt think it through for the + and -.

9. macrumors P6

Weaselboy

Fair enough. I understand your concern. Glad you got things figured out today.

10. macrumors regular

mattspace

It keeps re-adding itself

Re-opening an old thread just to note that I've tried this, and once you've Quit Dropbox, and then removed it from the Login Items prefpane, If you launch it again manually, it re-adds itself to Login Items.

11. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't do that if you uncheck that option in Dropbox preferences.
    Scap  2014-07-25 at 9.24.21 AM.png

12. macrumors regular

mattspace

*facepalm* of course - never occurred to me to look for preferences under the menubar icon.

thanks

13. macrumors newbie

Bad App Design

You shouldn't have to. When an OS offers a centralized place for managing a particular setting, app developers should respect and honor that function of the OS. What's especially obnoxious about Dropbox is that it replaces itself as a Login Item every time it launches.

14. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As already stated in my last post 4 months ago, no, it doesn't, if you change the setting as described in that post.

15. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But he's quite right (in my opinion) that you shouldn't have to change a setting. The default should be to respect OS preferences, not override them.

I have the same opinion about websites that register push notifications without asking for your permission (even MR does this, or at least used to) but I digress...

16. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree that you shouldn't have to, but I'm so used to setting up app preferences right after installation that it's never been a problem for me.

17. macrumors 6502

easiest method to stop any app form auto starting is to right click it's icon in the launch bar on the bottom of the screen --> options--> uncheck "launch at login"

18. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That won't help if the app, like Dropbox, has a preference that overrides that setting. Unless you disable it in Dropbox settings, as soon as you launch it, it will recheck to launch at login.

19. macrumors 6502

Oh that makes sense, sorry I haven't tried it with dropbox, just used that method for steam

20. macrumors newbie

dropbox help

Thanks a lot for your Feb 24, 2013 01:54 AM posting about Dropbox - it solved my problem. Appreciatively, lauram