How to stop Internet access but not network access?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dazed, Nov 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hi, my old dlink router died so I got a AirPort Extreme to replace it.

I have a old Mac mini which I use as a media server, since this is on 24/7 I'd like to stop this accessing the Internet and limit it to just my local network.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this and the airport utility app is very basic and offers little control. It seems that if I limit Internet access then it stops local network access too.

Any tips?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Disconnect the router from the Internet, i.e., pull the plug from the WAN port.

3. macrumors 601

That's not going to do what the OP wants. That's going to stop all of his computers from connecting to the internet - he want's to limit just one machine.

I question why though? I know he wants it on 24/7 but that has nothing to do with the internet. If he is concerned with external attacks, that isn't something that should limited to one machine. I am not aware of any real way to do this without some kind of server software or something on a physical box that limits traffic higher up on the network. Sounds like a lot of effort to maintain.

4. dazed, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

thread starter macrumors 6502a

My old dlink router had access control which stopped all Internet access but didn't effect LAN access. I just assumed this was normal router behaviour but maybe it was just a dlink thing.

All other machines are put to sleep so I'm just concerned about this one machine which I rarely monitor.

5. macrumors 65816

drsox

It's an option generally found in routers and not found in Airport. I had it in my last 2 routers.
    You will need to configure a second router to do this.

I suppose you could also setup the MacMini to access a false internet gateway (and so failing to get through). But you will need to configure the Network Setup manually to give a valid IP for local traffic and configure the Airport to avoid duplicating the MacMini IP.