Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingping14

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2010
I'd like to sync both my iPhone and iPad apps to iTunes so there is a backup incase I need to update firmware, but how do I stop my iPhone apps from syncing to my iPad and my iPad apps from syncing into my iPhone? its very annoying!!

thanks in advance

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
You will need to manually manage your apps and music. The option to do so will be on the summary page when you plug in the device. This also means if you purchase any music on the computer it will not automatically sync.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I'd like to sync both my iPhone and iPad apps to iTunes so there is a backup incase I need to update firmware, but how do I stop my iPhone apps from syncing to my iPad and my iPad apps from syncing into my iPhone? its very annoying!!

thanks in advance

ipad apps can't be synced to your iphone... iphone apps can be sync with your ipad...

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
ipad apps can't be synced to your iphone... iphone apps can be sync with your ipad...

Obviously he was meaning those apps that can be synced to both. He only wants certain ones on the phone and certain ones on the pad.

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Sorry the manually manage option is not what you need. I think you just want to go to the apps page and deselect automatically sync new apps. Then you just select which ones you want.

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Actually all you need is to go to the apps tab when your iPad and/or iPhone are connected and uncheck the box that says (something like) 'automatically sync new apps'

slimeyapple

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
California USA
iPad apps syncing to iPhone

I too, have this dilemma.

I do not want all of my apps on both devices. I have unchecked the "Automatically sync new apps" option (for each device).

When I download an app on the iPad, it still appears on the iPhone.

When I download an app on the iPhone, the app does NOT appear on my iPad.

(this makes me happier, but...)

-- the methods mentioned in these forums have not worked, and I would really like to find a solution for this.

What I find ODD is, if I download an app using the iPad, and I already HAVE that same app on the iPhone (in a group folder, specifically) -- the app still appears (a second time) on the iPhone - outside of the icon group. (This is to say, the app will be on the iPhone 2 times, once in the folder where I had originally stored it, and once "loose" or free from being in a group.

-- Let me know what information will be helpful in finding a solution for this - I am as anxious as the others are to find this solution.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
settings - store - check your automatically download selections on all devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.