how to stop/restart?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Don't panic, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I 've been folding for a couple of weeks now, and I should reach 100WU tonight (whoopee). It's fun to look at the stats climbing the charts.
    My only problem is that sometimes the program won't fade in the background but keeps using most of my CPU even when I have a lot of stuff open, basically 'hijacking' the computer. I used mc68k's scripts, and I don't really know how to stop/restart the app, because terminal is not "running" (As you likely realized, I don't know too much about using darwin). I can kill the app using the activity monitor, but how do i restart other than reboot the computer? Is there a simple way to 'pause'?
    thanks

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since you're using mc68k's scripts, you might want to look at the documentation included.

Once that's done, you should be able to open the Terminal application and stop and restart folding. :)

3. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

maybe I'm missing something, but where would that be? i'm attaching is a grab of the f@h folder, and I couldn't find docs there or in the documents folder. Do I need to open something from within terminal?
    sorry, but if this sounds idiotic it's because it probably it is.
    thanks

Attached Files:

4. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

duh!

ok, I re-downloaded the image and found the info.
    amazingly enough you type "pause" to pause and "resume" to resume.
    Who would have thought of that?

now... how do i sweep this thread under some cyber-rug?

{whistles away......}

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I typed stop and it stopped working. Played a game for a couple of hours and started the processes again. But after I quit my terminal, so does folding.... I noticed it a couple of days later, so missed out on about 400 points... so I keep a terminal window open all the time now. Is this normal? MC86K's script should work after that again normally in the background, not only when the terminal is open?

6. jbeetz macrumors member

make sure you include the & as the last thing on the line... it "backgrounds" the task so it runs when the terminal window is closed. If you don't include it, terminal will kill the task.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

No you should be able to close the Terminal and keep folding...

There is something wrong there... Possibly look at the persons ^^ answer...

:slaps self:

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Can you write that out for me in full? I am working with the dual script of MC86K, so the thing that I have to type in the terminal is: "start1&" and "start2&" instead of "start1" and "start2". Is this correct?!?!

9. jbeetz macrumors member

mc68k can speak a bit better to this, but his scripts should have put the ampersand in his "start" script (which is aliased in your .login file). If you are using his stuff, and they installed correctly, then you should be alright with just "start"

Here's what the old alias looked like, notice the fah output is redirected to the null device and the trailing ampersand to background the process.

alias start 'cd ~/F@H1; ./OSX-3.25 -local -advmethods > /dev/null &'

I would expect the new version looks more like this:

alias start 'cd ~/Library/Folding@home/; ./fah4 -this -that > /dev/null &'

You can see by checking your .login file... go to terminal then:

cd ~ (go to your home directory)
    cat .login (type out the contents of the .login file)

Of note, and I haven't poked around OSX much, but in unix, filenames that start with a period are generally 'hidden', so that's why they don't show up with a ls command. To see them, you need to use the -a (all) switch... ls -a

So, I'd check your .login and make sure the start command is correct and if not, edit same to fix it!