Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redbusa06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Hi all, newbie here......

Each time I try to sync ringtones it says all my music will be removed from my iphone. How do I prevent this? Please help.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Welcome to MacRumors, redbusa06. :)

It sounds like your iPhone is currently synced with another computer (ie a different iTunes library), is this correct?

The iPhone is designed to mirror the iTunes library with which it is synced. In other words, it's your portable iTunes library away from your computer; if you add or delete songs on your computer, the same songs will be added/deleted from your iPhone upon the next sync.

Assuming I understand the situation correctly, your issue stems from the fact that your ringtones are not in the same iTunes library as the music on your iPhone.

Do you still have access to the computer to which your iPhone was originally synced? If so, then your ringtones can simply be added to that computer and be synced regularly. If that isn't possible, then the next-best option is to add all of your music to your new (ie current) computer, and then sync. The music on your iPhone will be deleted, but will be replaced by the music on your computer. Assuming you are able to add all of the music to your computer (from a backup, for example, or CDs), then you should be fine.

Let us know if you have any problems, or if I haven't understood the situation correctly. :)

redbusa06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah i'm on the computer i've always synced my phone to. However, I don't have the music saved on the computer as its my parents' computer. I don't have the ability to get internet at my apartment so I don't have a computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.