How to sync with Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ltud, Aug 10, 2005.

1. ltud macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004
    I have two primary computers, my 15" PowerBook running 10.4.2 and a desktop PC I built running Windows XP. I mostly use the PowerBook but use the desktop as a backup for when my PowerBook is not available (girlfriend uses it, friends borrow it) and as a glorified external hard drive for files that are too large for my 80GB.

I would like to be able to synchronize my home directory on my PowerBook with a folder (possibly "My Documents") on my desktop. Just something simple that will duplicate the most recent changes from the machine I last worked on to both machines. It doesn't have to be automatic, I just want it to be easier than manually selecting the most recent file and cloning it to the other drive - over and over again.

Any ideas on what software could do this for me?

2. akm macrumors member

Jun 16, 2005
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Hey Luke, I had the same sort of query and you should see this thread :)

What I have not yet tested is the whole issue with Mac OS X (I've been told) not being able to write to NTFS, in which case you may need to convert your PC drive to FAT32. I've been meaning to test this out, but have not yet had the chance. Would love to hear any feedback from anyone who may have tried to do this.

Hope this helps a little.
  3. ltud thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004

Thanks akm, that's just what I needed.