How To Take Audio From a Video File...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SamIchi, Jun 27, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I wanna take the Audio from a WMV, and make it into a MP3. What program can I use? Thanks Guys!
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    Cycling 74 Software offers SoundFlower for free. It's a free audio routing program, and it's not as easy as others, but it's very stable. Also see if SoundFlowerbed (works with SoundFlower). - This is my favorite product of all the free audio routing programs. Cumbersome, but effective.

Free Jack has a cleaner interface, but is glitchy. Perhaps it has improved.

This is a very user friendly program with a lot of features, but you pay for this coolness. Audio Hijack, but it's free. Audio routing and recording in one package with timers and well the works.

Free recording can be found here :Audacity is a good entry level audio editor. You will need the LAME library to encode and decode MP3s. Or just import the wave file that you recorded into iTunes and encode it as an MP3.

An option that I will leave for somebody else to explaine is to remove the DRM found in the stream (or file), convert the stream(or file) to AVI or MPG sans copyprotection, and then use a siple editing program to export the audio tracks only. This isn't my world, but it can be done.

Remember to respect the digital rights. I work with audio mostly on PCs, and the plugins for WMV encoders/decoders can be a littly pricey.