How to take files of old MAC (non USB)...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jq74, Apr 3, 2006.

1. jq74 macrumors newbie

can you help??

I have an old Mac LC630 that I would like to take some old files off before I throw it away but because it is so old (10 years +) it does not have a USB to connect my portable hard drive to.

How can I connect this USB HD to the comp to retrieve the file that I want before throwing away the computer?

The only way I can think of would be to use floppy disck but this would be painful!

thanks,
    James

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

does it have a network interface card? I've never heard of that model so I dunno... but I think networking would solve your problem if possible.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The hard disk in that one is IDE. Could you pop that into a newer Mac or USB/FireWire enclosure and take the data off that way?

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I agree with this idea. If the network card is not installed on your old Mac.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

thats the easiest way to transfer info off an obsolete system :eek:

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yep, this is the quickest and easiest.

Pretty cheap to. You don't even need a USB/FW enclosure. You can just get an adapter kit -- either USB or FW.

I have a Sabrent USB 2.0 to IDE Cable for 2.5" / 3.5" / 5.25" Drive with Power Adapter.

Works very well and is available at Tiger Direct.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1871517&CatId=470