how to take out music from the song and keep the vocal ?

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by djarsalan2006, Feb 20, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

hey guys !
    what would the best way to take out the music from a song and only keep the vocal ?
    thanks !

2. macrumors member

1) Use a band pass filter to cut the vocal range 200-2000Hz.
    This isn't the best way since there may be other sounds in the range.

2) If you have an instrumental version of the song, change the phase of the instrumental so that it directionally opposes the original and the result will be just the vocals.

Short of that I can't suggest anything that an average user could do.

3. macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I think it's just not possible... I would give up. Unless you get an instrumental version as described above.

4. macrumors newbie

it is esier to find "minus"

you can get mp3 The Strokes on your audio player

5. macrumors 6502

I dont think you can do it as cleanly as you would want it. even with your filtered down file you will still hear other sound/noise present in the file itself. if you want a vocals only file, you need to get the actual vocal stems used in producing the recording/mix.

I saw a web site before that offered downloads of original vocals of popular songs for a fee. but to register you have to prove your credentials as a pro dj. i'm not sure if the site is still around though

6. macrumors newbie

Hello djarsalan2006
    you can remove the vocal tracks from music. for this you have to purchase or download an audio editor program that will allow you to manipulate the left and right channels of an audio file. and follows the steps.
    1.Create a stereo .wav file of the song from which you wish to remove the vocal track and load it into your audio editing program.
    2. Copy the left and right channels to separate edit windows.
    3.Highlight the length of either the left or the right channel.
    4.Choose "Invert" (or "Flip" depending on the program) from the Process menu to flip the polarity of the channel.
    5.Use the parametric function from the "EQ" menu to adjust the slider arrow to 200 Hz to apply a low frequency shelf to the new channel. In some programs, you may have to manually type in "200."
    6.Repeat this process with the other (left or right) channel. Remember that the frequencies you cut from one channel will be present in the other channel after you reverse the polarity.
    7.Use the "Mix" mode to paste the new channels together and save the result as a .wav file.
    or you can use Vocal Remover Software or Plugins and just follows the onscreen steps to do it.
    I hope you can now remove the Vocal from music.
    thanking you.

7. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i think the OP wanted to keep the vocal...

nevertheless, cool info and i guess you do this often? and it works all the time?

8. macrumors 65816

c-Row

I can second this option. Works pretty good for me most of the time. Both files should be at the highest quality possible, though - you don't want to deal with artifacts from mp3 or aac.

9. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It doesn't always work. The premise is that songs are usually recorded the way a band stands on stage (I guess this is the way it started). The singer is in the center, so the singer is panned center, while the guitars and so on are panned a little left or right. What you do is remove everything that's not "perfectly" centered stereophonically, and on a lot of songs, this makes the vocals mostly disappear without that much effect on the rest of the music. But it all depends on how it was recorded.

In principle, you should be able to create a modified version of the song file that's vocals-subtracted (the procedure above), and then subtract that from the original song, which should leave you with just the vocals.... I've never tried that, though.