How to tell if iPhone is unlocked?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by KungPaoKitty, Aug 11, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2010
    Hello. I'm trying to sell my iPhone 3GS 4.0.1 that I unlocked but I need to know for sure if it's unlocked and will work with T-Mobile. I installed ultrasn0w but I don't know anyone with a T-Mobile SIM that I can try it out with.

I have heard that you can test it buy simply using another AT&T SIM card, which I did, and I was able to make calls with it. Can you normally use other AT&T SIMs without unlocking it?

Thanks, much appreciated guys.
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 18, 2007
    I was able to swap my AT&T card into another iPhone that was not unlocked and it worked fine. So, I would not rely on that test to determine whether it is unlocked or not.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2010
    You can go to the T-Mobile store and ask to try a T-Mobile phone to see if you can set up service on your 3GS. They will probably let you test a T-Mobile SIM to make sure it will work.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2010
    Yeah that's what I thought. Darn. I wonder if I can pick up one of those pay-as-you-go T-Mobile phones at Wal-mart and try it out...
  5. macrumors member

Apr 6, 2010
    Yep, it should work fine.
  6. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Dont sweat it. If you have ultrasnow installed and it's displayed tru cydia/manage/packages then it's unlocked.
  7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 11, 2010
    Yes it's displayed in Cydia. I guess I'll either buy a cheap pay-as-you-go phone or take the leap of faith.. Unfortunately I have no T-Mobile locations in my area lol
  8. macrumors 65816

Oct 2, 2007
    Rhode Island
    I have several simcards... If you're in New England area I can give one to you lol :eek: (mostly unused/expired simcard but you'll still see a signal if the phone is unlocked)