1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

How to tell if webcam is in use

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by fastfourier, Feb 6, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi everybody

I've done a bit of poking around on this issue, but no dice. Hopefully someone can help me...

I need some way of detecting when the webcam on my computer is in use (actually it is an external camera connected via firewire). I would presume it would go along the lines of trying to open the webcam device, and if it fails, then the webcam is in use. That's a bit inelegant though - so is there a better way? Maybe something that can be done through bash scripts?

I like to work in pitch black, but I have a lot of Skype conversations. I'd like to have my home automation server fade up the lights in my studio when the webcam comes on. This is the only bit I haven't figured out.

Can you help?

thanks

O

2. macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I think it would be easier to write a program that detects the launch of a Skype video chat; vs. trying to interface with your web-cam.

3. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Here's a script that can detect it. I only tested with Skype though.

Save it to a file such as cam.rb and run it like: ruby cam.rb

Code:
    [color=#aa0d91]require[/color] [color=#1c00cf]'osx/cocoa'[/color]
    OSX.require_framework([color=#c41a16]"/System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework"[/color])

[color=#aa0d91]class[/color] Watcher < OSX::NSObject
      [color=#aa0d91]def[/color] initialize
        devices = OSX::QTCaptureDevice.inputDevicesWithMediaType(OSX::QTMediaTypeVideo)
        abort [color=#c41a16]"No camera found."[/color] [color=#aa0d91]if[/color] !devices
        @device = devices.lastObject
        @device.addObserver_forKeyPath_options_context([color=#aa0d91]self[/color], [color=#c41a16]"inUseByAnotherApplication"[/color], [color=#1c00cf]0[/color], [color=#aa0d91]nil[/color])
        check()
      [color=#aa0d91]end[/color]

[color=#aa0d91]def[/color] check
        inUse = @device.isInUseByAnotherApplication
        [color=#aa0d91]if[/color] inUse != @lastInUse
          [color=#aa0d91]if[/color] inUse
            puts [color=#c41a16]"'#{@device.localizedDisplayName}' is in use."[/color]
          [color=#aa0d91]else[/color]
            puts [color=#c41a16]"'#{@device.localizedDisplayName}' is not in use."[/color]
          @lastInUse = inUse

[color=#aa0d91]def[/color] observeValueForKeyPath_ofObject_change_context(keyPath, object, change, context)
        OSX::NSObject.cancelPreviousPerformRequestsWithTarget([color=#aa0d91]self[/color])
        [color=#aa0d91]self[/color].performSelector_withObject_afterDelay([color=#c41a16]"check"[/color], [color=#aa0d91]nil[/color], [color=#1c00cf]0.1[/color])

watcher = Watcher.new
    OSX::NSRunLoop.currentRunLoop.run

4. macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Oooorrrr not. Nice one, kainjow. I've been out of the game to long haha.