How to tell what cinema display I'm getting (in store)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gootz, Aug 7, 2006.

1. gootz macrumors member

gootz

I'm ready to pick up a 23" ACD from my local Apple store now that the price has dropped and specs are up. My question is, if I go in this week how can I tell if the display I'm getting is the newer specs or if they are dumping existing stock? I called the store and they are clueless. They said prices are down but the specs are the same. I want to pay cash otherwise I would order online. What to do??

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

Do they have newer specs? Just buy from the online store. Chances are it is the new one.

3. gootz thread starter macrumors member

gootz

Yeah, specs are up and I woud buy online but I have cash in hand and live 10 min. from an Apple store.

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I'm pretty sure nothing changed but the price. The ACDs didn't get updated today or anything.

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, better contrast ratio and brightness.

To the OP: if you can (and since your local Apple store seems clueless), I'd go with the suggestion of buying online. It's a drag to have to wait for shipping, but I'd prefer that over getting an older model. I don't know how quickly the stores would have updated stock.. but I imagine there's probably still a good lot of older ones still out there since it's only just been silently released.

6. gootz thread starter macrumors member

gootz

The 20" display now has a brightness of 300 cd/m2 (up from 250 cd/m2), and the 23" display has a brightness of 400 cd/m2 (up from 270 cd/m2). Both models also now feature 700:1 contrast ratios (both up from 400:1). The 30" display remains at 400 cd/m2 and a 700:1 contrast ratio.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The front page says differently. :rolleyes: :p

8. gootz thread starter macrumors member

gootz

Any one buy one in store this week and get a new one?

9. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

im thinking of getting a second one myself.

however. i have an older spec'd 23" that's gonna bug the crap out of me i bet. ( even though they will have matched calibration profiles )

it currently is very distracting looking at the dell 24" then at the ACD 23" due to the inherent brightness and higher contrast of the dell.

..maybe i should get an older one ;) haha. I bet they will firesale them at applestores, ( i can use my employee discount on top )

10. reubs macrumors 68000

Go to the bank, pick up an AMEX gift card with that cash, BOOM!, order the cinema display online. Like whoa.