How to tell what went bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kdbilly, Dec 1, 2006.

1. kdbilly macrumors member

kdbilly

Hi, I've had problems lately that I'm not sure about.

It started with a restart, which led to redraw issues and freezes. Big blocks of screen and windows that remained or were ghosted and everything would just freeze up. After many restarts I was able to get most of the important files backed-up.

I went for a total re-install of the OSX during which there were sporadic freezes that cleared themselves up. After the OS re-install, there are still the big blocks of screen and windows and redraw problems, so I'm not sure what elements are bad. I'd rather not just start replacing things and wonder if any of this points to something in particular. It passes all tests from Disc Utility and Techtool Pro so I'm clueless at this point. If anyone could help, please do... I really want to keep this computer if possible.

Computer is a G4 733MHz, 1.25 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, running OSX 10.3.3 (usually 10.3.9 before probs), video card is GeForce2 MX, 32 mb VRAM. Anything I'm missing?

Hopefully someone can help out, I'd be super stoked. Thanks much...

2. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Same Problem

I had the very same problem about a year ago with an iMac G5. I took it in to apple under applecare and they fixed it. The problem was with the logic board. I was very happy to have applecare as it was about an $800.00 USD repair. Hopefully it will not cost you any where near that, but I think it will have to go back to apple.

JohnMC