How to tell wireless speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicolle19, Feb 3, 2007.

1. nicolle19 macrumors member

I am having issues with my wireless router lynksys wrt54g v5. I have the updated firmware. I have 7mbs dwnload how can i tell the speed im getting with osx
    thanks

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

You could use something like the IStat Pro widget or MenuMeters to check your current bandwidth to the internet. Kick off a few downloads you know will saturate your bandwidth and see what stats you get reported back.

However I'd be interested to know how you can tell the wireless speed you have between your Mac and the router without transfering files around on the localnet. I know the speed negotiates down as your signal strength drops, does anyone know how can you see the negotiated speed?

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Well if you mean your link speed (speed between computer and router) open Applications > Utilities > Network Utility. From the Info tab select Network Interface (en1). If you mean the internet speed then what previous users have posted will work fine.

4. Jedsh03 macrumors newbie

I've downloaded iStatPro, but how do you read its readings to answer the question of how fast or slow everything is going? i.e. I'm currently downloading a book from audible.com and I'm getting a Network reading of "current in: 31kb" sometimes it drops down to 5kb or 29kb, but usually sits around 31kb. The "current out" is holding steady at about 1kb. I have an ISP that says I'm paying for 256kbps, but don't know if this is related to that? I'm also receiving my signal from a router that is connected to a PC, perhaps that is slowing things down. ::sigh:: a bit confusing it all seems.