Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Hey, I've added 2GB of crucial RAM to my Mac Pro and I heard on one of the reviews that there's a danger of this causing errors in the RAM when fully loaded and stressed, because they don't have the heat spreaders. How can I test if I'm experienceing this problem?

dreamsINdigital

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
The program Memtest would determine if the RAM itself has any problems. Not sure about any heat issues though.

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm sure it'll work under normal conditions though, I'm mainly concerned with the stress test and possible heat problems.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
If you run that test for 24 to 48 hours strait you should get the results you wanted.

drm

Oct 16, 2006
Mac Pro RAM testing

YoYoMa,

You should try running the PhotoshopCS test from http://www.retouchartists.com and Rember at the same time.

I just purchased new 2GB RAM modules. To test them, I ran Rember many times and didn't get any ECC errors. However, within a few loops of the Retouchartists test, the system started generating ECC errors. I took the temperature of the RAM with my infrared thermometer and it was 160C on the left side of the chip. The temperature was high whether the memory was on the top or bottom rack. The Apple ram never had an ECC error and was only about 145C. The processors stayed below 50C the entire time.

I am negotiating with the vendor now for a return or exchange.

Good luck!

M

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
You can also open System Profiler and then click on Memory. It'll list all the DIMMs and their status (OK or if there are any errors).

Monyx

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
Australia
YoYoMa said:
. How can I test if I'm experienceing this problem?

I bought Memtest for 99c, the latest version 4.14 adds

* native support for the the new Mac Pro 64-bit Intel-based systems
* improved status reporting during execution of each test
* and an updated User Guide.

It's advised to run in from single user command line as more RAM is free to test - of my 3GB about 2750MB are avail for Memtest to check.

Mark

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
is there a good program to test for errors and also memory bandwidth?
for windows?
and
for osx?

thankx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.