How to text multiple people without creating Group SMS/MMS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bov, Dec 14, 2011.

1. bov
    macrumors 6502

So like the title says, How do you text multiple people WITHOUT creating a Group SMS/MMS?

For example, in the case where i'd like to text multiple people without them knowing each individual person whom i've also sent to.

The only option i've seen is to turn group chat completely on or off, but is there an in-between?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 603

Menel

1. Copy, paste to different SMS threads.
    2. Email, BCC.

3. macrumors 6502a

Do you want to send a single text to many recipients as if you sent each single message one-by-one ?
    If using iOS4, turn off Group Messaging in settings.
    If using iOS5, turn off iMessage, Group Messaging and MMS in settings.

After you sent the group text you can turn them on again.

4. macrumors 6502

You can see each others replies too with iOS5.

NOT a good thing if you ask me, that has disaster written all over it.

5. bov
    thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes! this is exactly what i'd like to do. However, when you add multiple recipients, iMessage automatically creates a Group text (in doing this everyone sees who else you've also sent to)

I guess we just have to wait until theres an option to choose whether you will either:

1. create Group text or

2. text multiple people the same message without Group text..

6. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Or turn the options off as suggested in my post!

7. macrumors 6502

8. macrumors demi-god

thatoneguy82

Yeah, sometimes I don't like group messaging. You get everyone's replies. It's that annoying "reply all" in emails. I get texts from people asking who I am and I get random texts. Too much. I just wish that each would go into their own thread.

9. macrumors 6502a

That's a pain though. Shouldn't have to do that just to sent a text to multiple people. There should be some type of option. BBM is still much better than iMessage.

10. macrumors 6502

haha Well isn't kind of implied with "group" messaging? There's still the option of sending a message to individuals directly

11. macrumors 6502a

Hey that's my app :) I hope you like it. And thanks for suggesting it to other people :)

----------

I'm talking with Apple engineers since October about this. I hope they'll come up with a better solution soon!

12. macrumors 6502a

so i take it there's still no option to send SMS to multiple recipients without creating groups? that's ridiculous!

13. macrumors newbie

Another app

I have this application on the app store currently:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/textwiz/id409087945?mt=8&uo=4

However, it is currently undergoing a major overall. The new version is almost complete (should be out in about 2 weeks) and includes the ability to manage all your own groups, etc.

Anyway, you can create a "group" and then send the same message to all members individually. The app has some additional features such as inserting Personal information into each message, but if you're just looking to send messages without the annoying "group look" it will work great for that too.

(Also, there is no need to change anything in the settings to use the app in the way I describe!)

Tip: I'll probably raise the price once I release the new version, so it would be best to get it now before the update!

Minor disclaimer: Some people have noticed some mysterious crashes with the current version, but those are also being repaired in the new version. (Along with a robust automatic crash reporting system, since Apple's doesn't work well.) Sorry if you see them, but they will be gone soon. :)

14. macrumors regular

WeetaBiXie

What's the name of your new app, as the link don't work anymore. Thanks

15. macrumors newbie

With app "Contacts In : Import CSV & Manage Groups" you can send broadcast messages

With app "Contacts In : Import CSV & Manage Groups" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contacts-in-import-csv-manage/id549639443?ls=1&mt=8) you can send SMS or email to any number of selected contacts.
    Contacts are selected by selecting checkbox next to contacts, one click per contact, very fast and easy:
    [​IMG]
    then you choose what action to do for selected contacts: send SMS, email, assign to group or delete:
    [​IMG]
    See detailed description with more screenshots here: http://csvcontacts.wordpress.com/iphone-groups-broadcast/
    When sending SMS actually iPhone will send individual SMS to each of the receipient

16. macrumors newbie

This is cool and all, but 160 characters max blows. Come on apple you are so awesome...I know you can figure this one out.
    -on iphone5

17. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You mean figuring out how to SMS over 160 characters? I bet they can also make an app that will let you know the thread you're replying to is 18 months old.

18. macrumors 6502

That's a really stupid and inefficient was of going about cc'ing multiple people..

19. macrumors 603

Menel

OP didn't want to CC, he wants to BCC. There is no precedence for this over sms. It's very non-standard.
    Also a very old thread...