Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
so I was able to add a song, but I tried adding like 5 and only one added, is there a special thing you have to do to add multiple songs?

EDIT: I realized that you can't just do "putfile ringtone.m4a" on each line, that you must do quit after each ringtone, and re enter the ./iphoneinterface and all that just as you had to for the first one. Now I have all hte ringtones and no problems syncing!

slazareth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
I've done this twice now. Following both the guide in the first post and the one posted later = http://www.iphonealley.com/news/guide-for-adding-custom-ringtones-and-tweaks-to-your-iphone

Both times I have had problems syncing with iTunes upon restart of my phone. I get the message 'iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "Secret iPhone" because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000022).'

I'm going to restore my iPhone again and then probably leave it alone for now. For other people. Its worth giving it a shot. If this happens you can still restore your phone. So yeah, if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. The Ringtones are on my phone and work great. I just can't get iTunes to recognize my phone.

Edit - my phone is named Secret iPhone btw. Just in case you thought that was some cryptic message iTunes spat out.

EDIT - Ok, I tried it for a third time and got it all working nicely. I had forgotten to kill iTunes Helper. After doing that everything went smoothly.

EriQ009

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2007
I did this using the guide on iPhonealley.com.

I tried the other walk-through, as it seemed to provide better step-by-step instructions. Tried it several times, though, and ran into some difficulties. I ended up having to restore my iPhone through iTunes and start all over.

I then decided to try the iPhonealley guide, and had no problems at all. I had 20+ ringtones that I had all ready to go, and it was just a matter of adding them using the putfile command, one after the other.

Many thanks to the guys who put in their time to make this happen.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
What format?

mp3 worked fine for me. I imported some songs into audacity to cut them down adn exported them as mp3 and it worked no prob. Just make sure when you're transfering the song you put the extension, ie "putfile americanbabyringtone.mp3"

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
so I was able to add a song, but I tried adding like 5 and only one added, is there a special thing you have to do to add multiple songs?

EDIT: I realized that you can't just do "putfile ringtone.m4a" on each line, that you must do quit after each ringtone, and re enter the ./iphoneinterface and all that just as you had to for the first one. Now I have all hte ringtones and no problems syncing!

I updated both our iPhone's and did not have to restart after each .m4a ringtone. All 13 were copied just fine. I also set my AT&T logo to Apple, then I tried changing my new mail and sms sounds and lost both sounds. All I had was vibrate. I restored and put all my ringtones and Apple 'service' indicator back on. I'll wait on the system sounds.
Frackin' sweet!
:cool:

digitalkid

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2006
OMG everybody asks all these random questions that are in the damn guide. TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ.

To clear things up, it needs to be in .m4a (just reencode it in itunes as AAC) it says you can try MP3, but why? Just do AAC and it works, no sense in making things harder.

You can apply more than one ringtone at a time, you DO NOT need to quit then back in again. If you cannot get into recover mode, you need to restore your iPhone before you attempt any of the following steps.

Quick Install Guide:

In Terminal:
type: cd phonedmg
type: ./jailbreak

->PLUG PHONE IN
->HOLD DOWN HOME & POWER for 25sec
->Phone reboots and jailbreak returns back to regular prompt

type: ./iphoneinterface

(FIRST TIME, u need to create a ringtones folder, RETURNING for more, you don't need to recreate)
type: mkdir /var/root/Library/Ringtones
type: cd /var/root/Library/Ringtones

type: putfile blahblahblah.m4a
type: putfile stupidsong.m4a
type: putfile howevermanysongsuhave.m4a
etc...

THEN before you exit: (This is a very crucial step even if you don't add anything to your iphone, everytime you jailbreak ur phone, u need to reapply the services.plist or else your phone will require a restore in iTunes)

type: cd /System/Library/Lockdown
type: putfile Services.plist
type: exit

->UNPLUG ur iphone and reboot it. YOURE DONE.

sportlouis

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
When i did this, somehow i didnt install the service.plist and now i cant connect to itunes. i also cannot go back and redo the process because it wont let me get past the ./jailbreak part. Is there anyway of restoring the phone without being connected to itunes or are there any other suggestions?

I've done this twice now. Following both the guide in the first post and the one posted later = http://www.iphonealley.com/news/guide-for-adding-custom-ringtones-and-tweaks-to-your-iphone

Both times I have had problems syncing with iTunes upon restart of my phone. I get the message 'iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "Secret iPhone" because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000022).'

I'm going to restore my iPhone again and then probably leave it alone for now. For other people. Its worth giving it a shot. If this happens you can still restore your phone. So yeah, if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. The Ringtones are on my phone and work great. I just can't get iTunes to recognize my phone.

Edit - my phone is named Secret iPhone btw. Just in case you thought that was some cryptic message iTunes spat out.

EDIT - Ok, I tried it for a third time and got it all working nicely. I had forgotten to kill iTunes Helper. After doing that everything went smoothly.

i keep getting that error for itunes also. how do you restore your phone if you cannot hook up to itunes???

anyone??

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
When i did this, somehow i didnt install the service.plist and now i cant connect to itunes. i also cannot go back and redo the process because it wont let me get past the ./jailbreak part. Is there anyway of restoring the phone without being connected to itunes or are there any other suggestions?

Does itunes give you the option to restore? I forgot to do the services but was able to restore and do it again

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Does anyone know of a way to copy the files FROM the iPhone using iPhoneInterface? I can view the files that are already on it, copy new files TO the phone, but don't know a command to get files that area already there.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2003
Anyone successful in making a "louder" ringtone? All of the stock ones aren't loud enough for me. Maybe I'm getting old and losing my hearing. Can you maybe just take a stock ringtone and run it through Audacity to increase the volume level?

I really don't care for custom ringtones, but if I can get a louder ringtone I'm willing to go through this process.

Thanks.

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
Anyone successful in making a "louder" ringtone? All of the stock ones aren't loud enough for me. Maybe I'm getting old and losing my hearing. Can you maybe just take a stock ringtone and run it through Audacity to increase the volume level?

I really don't care for custom ringtones, but if I can get a louder ringtone I'm willing to go through this process.

Thanks.

Yes you can, although when you say 'stock', you are referring to a regular ringtone, not an iPhone ringtone (we can not copy files off the iPhone, yet). So, you find or make your own mp3 ringtone and can very easily tweak the volume with QT Pro or Audacity.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2003
Yes you can, although when you say 'stock', you are referring to a regular ringtone, not an iPhone ringtone (we can not copy files off the iPhone, yet). So, you find or make your own mp3 ringtone and can very easily tweak the volume with QT Pro or Audacity.

Cool. I've found and downloaded the Miramba ringtone. I'll try to increase the volume and see how it works.

Thanks.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007

Thanks.

I raised mine about 6-9db in audacity and they sounded like crap on the phone so I changed them back to zero, but maybe if you try you'll have better luck.

sportlouis

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks.

All my new ringtones are ALOT louded. i felt that was one of the major flaws in the current ringtones. NUMEROUS times i have missed a call just listening to the radio in my car or having a conversation with someone because they weren't loud enough. now i dont think ill have that problem

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
has anyone been successful in doing this on a non intel Mac ? I want to try it but well, i'm not on an intel Mac.

pghjetta

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
This is great (really!) but the guide says it won't work for PPC Macs, and that's all I've got. Has anyone had any luck compiling the Universal binary for "the rest of us"? :)

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2005
I can't get the command line to work i keep getting

steven-maloneys-computer:~ stevenmaloney$ cd ~/Desktop/iPhone\ goodies/tools/
-bash: cd: /Users/stevenmaloney/Desktop/iPhone goodies/tools/: No such file or director

anybody know my problem? I've unzipped them to the desktop and it still won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.