Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
What are those sound files called? I'd like to replace them, but i'm not sure how to remove/how to overwrite the existing ones.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Your loss.... :p

Yes, it is my loss, which is a shame, because otherwise I think the iPhone looks mostly awesome. I don't like that on this occasion Apple have made such silly, pointless decisions that cause me to decide to not buy one.

if you base your iphone purchase decision on custom ringtone availability, its not for you!

It's not just the actual ringtone issue per se, as I've posted before it's the whole ethos of being so tied to making money out the consumer even after they've bought the product and pay a subscription/contract charge for service to the point of blocking functionality that should be there and is there on plenty of rival products.

I understand limiting app development to web 2.0, I understand (and like) the idea of not having a physical keyboard... but the ringtone issue is, to my mind purposefully crippling the device for lame commercial/political reasons, not for any benefit to the consumer. That is what I object to.

I wasn't criticising anyone who hacks the phone to do stuff it should do anyway, it's just ridiculous it's necessary.

MarceePauff

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
What are those sound files called? I'd like to replace them, but i'm not sure how to remove/how to overwrite the existing ones.

The "how to" linked in this thread has a list of which soundfiles are used for the applications. The ones I replaced were the obvious ones: new-mail.caf and sms-received.caf.

You have to create your sound file first, then convert to quicktime aiff, then change the name to whatever you want to replace (new-mail.caf), then change directory (cd) to the one they give you... It's something like /System/Soundfiles/UI but not that-so you'll have to look that up at hacktheiphone. Then you putfile new-mail.caf and voila. New mail sound. But once you write over that file the original is gone.

Good luck.

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2005
To Steve TheBusDriver

steven-maloneys-computer:~ stevenmaloney$ cd ~/Desktop/iPhone\ goodies/tools/
-bash: cd: /Users/stevenmaloney/Desktop/iPhone goodies/tools/: No such file or director

Steve it looks like the script is not properly escaping the directory name with the embedded space or else that directory doesn't exist.

English please :D or rather how do I fix it.

itsallinurhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2007
Southern California
Hi, FWIW just wanted to share my own failed attempt with you. I was unsuccessful following the HackiPhone instructions due partly to the format of the ringtone. I used Fission to create what were supposedly iPhone formatted tones which it saved as a .m4v not .m4a. iphoneInterface happily put several of them onto the phone but then produced an error Signal report without much detail. I then tried to put the Services.plist back and it failed. I then tried to restore using iTunes and got unable to connect to iphone on sync with the 0xE8000022. Further attempts to run either jailbreak or iphoneInterface failed with an unable to connect to phone AFC error. at this point, iPhone was still working fine but was unable to sync and if iTunes could not connect to it, no restore was possible. Even the dudes at the Apple store were unable to restore it. i was still within the 15 days of purchase, so i got a new phone, but you might not be so lucky...

You just hold down Home and Sleep/Wake. When it says connect to iTunes it is in recovery mode and you can restore it.

MarceePauff

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
thanks yeah i missed that list. Ill just cp over all the default sounds first.

Hey, just realized that once you're in the ringtones or sounds directory:

Library/Ringtones (for ringtones)
or
/System/Library/Audio/UISound (for the message received and other app sounds)

you can type "ls" to get a list of files in that directory
when you're in those directories, you can putfile (to put a file, duh)
or rmdir (to remove a file)

For example, I didn't need the dog bark or harp in my ringtones folder, so I:
cd Library/Ringtones
ls (to find out what they were called)
rmdir Harp.m4a
rmdir Bark.m4a
quit

and then *poof* they were gone.

I still don't know exactly what sounds do what in the UISound folder; I've only changed the new-mail and sms-received and so far, so good. I don't think I'll go any further yet, though.

Have fun!

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
You just hold down Home and Sleep/Wake. When it says connect to iTunes it is in recovery mode and you can restore it.
Thanks I knew that but recovery mode did not allow me to restore as iTunes would not connect to the phone. Something basic got whacked on the phone so that the AFC file system returned errors and caused iTunes to error-out. game over... :(

ekahialoha

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
hey everyone. this is so cool :)
the sound quality kinda sucks but its still better than nothing.
but now i have a question.
if im on a PC, how do i REMOVE ringtones?
I uploaded a ringtone to my phone that doesnt work.
so how do i remove?
thanks in advance

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
Hey, just realized that once you're in the ringtones or sounds directory:

Library/Ringtones (for ringtones)
or
/System/Library/Audio/UISound (for the message received and other app sounds)

you can type "ls" to get a list of files in that directory
when you're in those directories, you can putfile (to put a file, duh)
or rmdir (to remove a file)

For example, I didn't need the dog bark or harp in my ringtones folder, so I:
cd Library/Ringtones
ls (to find out what they were called)
rmdir Harp.m4a
rmdir Bark.m4a
quit

and then *poof* they were gone.

I still don't know exactly what sounds do what in the UISound folder; I've only changed the new-mail and sms-received and so far, so good. I don't think I'll go any further yet, though.

Have fun!

Dude - you ROCK

Thanks - I finally got rid of the lame sounds that I will never use like Dog Bark, Crickets, Motorcycle to name a few.

Awesome...

@ekahialoha
This post describes how to remove your uploaded ringtone. Just repeat the entire process but once you get to /var/root/Library/Ringtones type ls and you'll see all the files you've uploaded. Now type rmdir ringtone.m4a or .mp3. Just make sure you match the case exactly.
:cool:

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
whats up everyone. So i tried to do this process a few times and i cant quite get it to work. i selected the songs i wanted in itunes, converted it to AAC, and then edited it to 30 seconds in garage band. eveything goes good as i follow the guide on how to hack the iphone untill i turn my iphone off and back on again to try to listen to my new ringtone on my phone. It reads that its there but it just wont play. What am i doing wrong?!? i tried to install some of the ring tones that people maid ( the links above ) and they worked just fine on my phone. but my problem is that i cant get any that i made to work on my phone. Any suggestins/help would be greatly appreciated! Also any other pre maid ringtones would also be appreciated!

bijanm

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2007
dont use aac format. use mp3 or mp4 only
whats up everyone. So i tried to do this process a few times and i cant quite get it to work. i selected the songs i wanted in itunes, converted it to AAC, and then edited it to 30 seconds in garage band. eveything goes good as i follow the guide on how to hack the iphone untill i turn my iphone off and back on again to try to listen to my new ringtone on my phone. It reads that its there but it just wont play. What am i doing wrong?!? i tried to install some of the ring tones that people maid ( the links above ) and they worked just fine on my phone. but my problem is that i cant get any that i made to work on my phone. Any suggestins/help would be greatly appreciated! Also any other pre maid ringtones would also be appreciated!

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal

Save it as an AIF, then use iTunes to convert it to AAC or MP3.

PS AAC (m4a) files work just fine, at least mine do, from iTunes.
:cool:

tuner4life

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
Burlington, Wi
hey guys i was just curious on if this only works for macs or i could do it just fine on my pc??? sorry if this was asked already didnt feel like readin through the whole thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.